Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Parvovirus Outbreak in Lincolnshire

This may be old news to some of you but I haven't been on here for a while so sorry if you've already heard about it, just thought I would warn everyone.

As I mentioned, some people in the village have now lost 2 dogs to parvovirus, one has had all hers innoculated now but the other gives hers homeopathic treatment so will not be vaccinating.

I spoke to my vets this afternoon, I always get mine vaccinated as pups and then every 2-3 years as a precaution. I'm not anti-vaccinating, but my vet has told me that there is no reason to have them done every year, so I haven't done.

Anyway, it is apparently rife out here so I have got them all booked in, fortunately my numbers are down to 7 now, but that is still going to cost me just over £300 and thats with a discount for taking so many at once. Money I don't have but will find in order to ensure their safety, also I know they will then be vaccinated when/if they go to their new homes so one less thing for their new owner to worry about for a while.

Mine haven't been to any shows or anywhere for a good few months but if its in the air then I'm not leaving it to chance.

I wonder what triggers an epidemic...is it the wet weather, does anyone know?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the warning Sheree, we were in N. E Lincs 2 weeks ago, Ollie is vaccinated, how long does it take to show up do you know ?
Sorry to hear you have got this added expense you don't really need.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
It is normally 14-21 day Incubation. Keira came over from Ireland and the whole litter had it her 2 brothers died. Keira and her sisters were in vets for 3 weeks. Awful virus even if your dogs are vaxed they get it mildly.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thanks for the warning Sheree, we were in N. E Lincs 2 weeks ago, Ollie is vaccinated, how long does it take to show up do you know ?
Sorry to hear you have got this added expense you don't really need.
Hi Lynn, the vets said that the virus can take up to a month to show its symptoms...fortunately none of the other dogs from these homes seem to be effected. I would have thought that Ollie would be safe if he's been vaccinated, although I have heard of vaccinated dogs being effected with it but not sure if they get it as bad.

It is an unexpected expense but I would far rather scrape the money together and try to ensure their safety. My vets are very good, I asked if I could pay half this week and the rest in two weeks and they agreed, so that will be a great help to me.

Sheree xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
It is normally 14-21 day Incubation. Keira came over from Ireland and the whole litter had it her 2 brothers died. Keira and her sisters were in vets for 3 weeks. Awful virus even if your dogs are vaxed they get it mildly.
Oh sorry our posts crossed there, how awful for those poor babies xx
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey hun,
Im in lincolnshire where about's is the outbreak?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Hey hun,
Im in lincolnshire where about's is the outbreak?
Hi Jem, we're south of Boston, in Fosdyke, but the vets said its all over the place. Hope you're all safe where you are xx
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Im in between grimsby n louth but i'll keep a eye out for any info in my village x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Lynn, the vets said that the virus can take up to a month to show its symptoms...fortunately none of the other dogs from these homes seem to be effected. I would have thought that Ollie would be safe if he's been vaccinated, although I have heard of vaccinated dogs being effected with it but not sure if they get it as bad.

It is an unexpected expense but I would far rather scrape the money together and try to ensure their safety. My vets are very good, I asked if I could pay half this week and the rest in two weeks and they agreed, so that will be a great help to me.

Sheree xx
Glad to hear your Vets can make your payments a bit easier for you. I will keep an eye on Ollie hopefully he will be ok.
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Im at Market Rasen.. think i'll speak with my vets tomorrow
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >