View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Just want to check I've got this right....

right the dogs are fully on raw now but i just wanted to check something...

out of their diet 10% should be bone, and 10% should be offal right?

so in simple turns if they get 14 meals a week, then average 2 meals should be bone and 2 meals should be offal, the rest is meat/veg etc?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:36 PM
oh its been along time since i did it, but im sure i did alot more RMBs than that , maybe times have changed.
I think over two weeks id do 1 veg, 1 fish, 1 offal ,1 or two pure meat,rest RMB -normally chick wings

& add some cott cheese /yog /pasta as & when
Times may hae changed
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:56 PM
It'll depend on what "method" of raw feeding - prey model is 80:10:10 but from what I gather, BARF tends to have more bone in it.
It won't necessarily be 80:10:10 for every dog but it's a good starting point. You'll soon know if you're feeding too much bone as the poos will be chalky white and you may notice the dog straining a bit too much. You can try to combat this by feeding offal in the same meal (as offal tends to loosen it all up - and you certainly wouldn't want to give your dog one meal of his week's worth of offal as you'd probably have some very loose poo to pick up the next day). Some dogs will be fine with more bone in their diet but IMO it's better to start lower and increase it, than start too high, as constipation can be painful. Again, with offal, you'll know if you're feeding too much because poos will be too loose.
What I do is do a monthly order and get my 80:10:10 ration sorted on a spreadsheet (because 1, I'm a worrier, and 2, my supplier isn't local so I try to get it all right first time so I don't run out mid-month!), I order about 100lbs a month so 80lbs is meat, 10lbs bone and 10lbs offal. I then just grab out whatever I need from the freezer, knowing that it will all balance itself out over the week/month - though I do follow my above tip of offal & bone being fed together rather than seperate meals.
One thing to bear in mind is that bone will have some meat on, some more than others - e.g. chicken wings will be meatier than a bare carcass, but some carcasses have a small amount of meat left on them, some RMBs have more spare meat on them that others, a rack of ribs will sometimes be left with meat between the ribs, etc. Some of the minces I buy contain ground bone too - generally I think the meat on the bone, and the bone in the meat balance each other out as I don't have issues with it. My two will get "pure" meat cuts, e.g. chicken breasts grabbed from the supermarket, and minces that are bone-free but I just keep an eye on the consistancy of the poo and that tells me if the bone content of the diet is too high or not.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:17 PM
ah yes, i barfed
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 02:04 PM
it really is not that scientific, as of course many people will mix offal into meals rather than give a separate one, the same is true for RMBs, RMBs have meat on them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Some mince contains bone, and poultry necks & chicken wings do of course. I wouldn`t worry too much. Just keep an eye on the other end. If it`s very hard, you need to give less bone so give offal next meal. If it`s loose, they need more or something hasn`t agreed with them.
Well, that`s what i do.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey same for me right now, early days of raw feeding but I have chilled a bit and give them meat and bone most days with offal once a week , I have tried to work out the content in terms of whats required but decided if they are enjoying it , they are healthy and not hungry then it must be mainly ok. I struggle with the amounts and tried weighing what I was giving them but now just judge by eye the size of the raw product they are getting. Mine are even at 3 weeks in looking much better for it so trying not to get hooked into the science but feeding the dogs the raw food they were designed to eat and as long as they continue to enjoy it and are not hungry then I am assuming its all ok, maybe thats wrong but seems to work
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I was obsessive over the offal and bone percentages when i first started PMR, but im so different now. Jake probably gets a bit more than 10% bone, but it suits him well so i just feed what i think then judge by the other end i think its easier that way, than getting swamped with working out percentages.

He gets two offal meals... one liver and one kidney, which should work out at about 10%. Ive always heard that it should be 5% liver and 5% any other offal.
bigsim6xl
New Member!
Male 

19-01-2011, 08:55 PM
hiya, we have 4 dogs on BARF and we find the best way to gat the correct balance of meat/bone/fat/calcium/cartalage and so on is, CHICKEN WINGS OR AS WE CALL THEM SLIDERS AS THATS HOW EASY THEY GO DOWN,