Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 06:48 PM

New dog 'illness'

What an worry.
There is a new ailment around.
Cosmo has sadly come down with it.
Thankfully he isn't too 'ill' but he has developed a slightly manic expression, where he just stares into the distance, seemingly at nothing, then he just runs.
Seriously worrying, it also effects his ears as he seemingly goes deaf whenever another episode strikes him.
Thankfully the episodes don't last long and we so far have been able to find him, generally sitting looking up, skywards.
A worry though.

Apparently there is a clear cause and the way it is going, there soon won't be a problem as said cause seems to have a death wish...which is weird.

Here is the cause of the illness...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel

On a more serious note...Cosmo, who has thus far had 99% recall (the 1% was thanks to some seriously mental rabbits) is in danger of having all freedom priviliges stopped until the mad squirrel season is over as he is like a dog possessed. He has worried us a couple of times as he is so very fixated I don't think he'd stop chasing...even for a road. I admit I am making light,but we are concerned. He is a very naughty boy.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 06:50 PM
He can help me, I could do with another "Retriever"
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
He can help me, I could do with another "Retriever"
That is exactly why Tango isn't a Border Terrier....
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Ailsa, how weird Mack has this too.

H even understands the Squirrel word, the joys of having two kids and a too clever dog.

I have to be careful where Mack goes offlead these days, as he has also discovered raccoons, chipmunks, thankfully no skunks etc.

I know I joke about it too, but it can be a worry, I am constantly training recall , but think I am fighting against his prey drive instincts all the time.

Mack will do an emergency Sit, where he stops,sits and stares, but I try not to take too many risks with him, as he has matured, the prey drive seemed to overrule the training.

If you find a workable solution , please let me know, as I have tried all different methods.
Doesn't help I live in Squirrel heaven,
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Ailsa, how weird Mack has this too.

H even understands the Squirrel word, the joys of having two kids and a too clever dog.

I have to be careful where Mack goes offlead these days, as he has also discovered raccoons, chipmunks, thankfully no skunks etc.

I know I joke about it too, but it can be a worry, I am constantly training recall , but think I am fighting against his prey drive instincts all the time.

Mack will do an emergency Sit, where he stops,sits and stares, but I try not to take too many risks with him, as he has matured, the prey drive seemed to overrule the training.

If you find a workable solution , please let me know, as I have tried all different methods.
Doesn't help I live in Squirrel heaven,
It's scary isn't it. He has a 100% recall to whistle (so far........)but when whistled after an 'episode' he gets so disorientated he loses us. Bless him.So his whistle recall isn't 100%...as he can't find us. Such a worry and this year there seem to be thousands of them...we have a regular one in our garden which is unheard of and they all have a death wish.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Mack is excellent except for small furries, and like you said, they are everywhere at the moment.

Mack won't recall straightaway, but as soon as I yell he slams on the breaks and sits watching whatever it was, but I do worry that one day, he will just take off, so I let him off in the woods behind our house as they are fenced in, plus no roads etc, and a lot of state parks and parks, dog must be onlead here,. So he only goes offlead in our woods, and the dog park now. It is a shame, but if he did take off I'd be beside myself.

Will Cosmo kill the squirrel, if he caught it or is it just the chase?
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Okay, who on earth showed Cosmo the movie Up?

It's become kinda a joke thing amongst us, someone shouts 'Squirrel' and we all look in the same direction
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Mack is excellent except for small furries, and like you said, they are everywhere at the moment.

Mack won't recall straightaway, but as soon as I yell he slams on the breaks and sits watching whatever it was, but I do worry that one day, he will just take off, so I let him off in the woods behind our house as they are fenced in, plus no roads etc, and a lot of state parks and parks, dog must be onlead here,. So he only goes offlead in our woods, and the dog park now. It is a shame, but if he did take off I'd be beside myself.

Will Cosmo kill the squirrel, if he caught it or is it just the chase?
Yes, we have one fenced in, squirrel free park so he is offlead in there and if we go over to the beach, but the woodland and larger parks are a bit of a no go at the moment.
You lucky thing having fenced in woodland behind your house!!!!!

I think he would not have the first clue what to do with it...I think he would just carry it and not kill it. To be honest a couple of years a go I heard of a Golden Retriever that was really injured by a squirrel ...it's neck was ripped open...and I think that would be Cosmo,he is clueless.
What would Mack do?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post

It's become kinda a joke thing amongst us, someone shouts 'Squirrel' and we all look in the same direction
I blame my son....
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post

Was thinking the same thing! How funny are the dogs in that?!..."Point"..."Squirrell"!!! So reminded me of mine!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >