Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greatgatsbygirl
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Doghouse Guildford - Aggression Bootcamp

Hi - First time poster here hoping to benefit from your experience!
A friend of mine is considering sending her dog on the Aggression Bootcamp by the Doghouse in Guildford, Surrey. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this course and/or the company in general?
Many thanks for any help you can offer!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2013, 11:34 AM
There are many other aggression workshops being held all over the UK including Surrey by far more qualified, experienced and knowledgeable people............
greatgatsbygirl
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Smokeybear
Many thanks for your response.
I have realised that in my eagerness to get quick responses I have actually been very misleading in my initial post.

The company is actually offering to take the dog to rehabilitate for a couple of weeks (their aggression bootcamp) then will rehome to a more suitable family at the end. If he can't be rehabilitated then he will go to live with a pack of dogs in Colchester.

To me this all sounds very idealistic. Have you actually got experience of this company? Do you think this is realistic? Do you know what training methods they use?

(The dog can't stay with this family. They have had behaviourists in before but just don't have the time or inclination to do ongoing training. I know that is blunt and harsh but it is the truth.)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Go to live with a pack of dogs in Colchester?

Who will be footing the bill for that?
greatgatsbygirl
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Very good point. The service does cost a hefty amount but definitely not enough to support a large dog for another 10 years.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2013, 01:42 PM
What breed is it?

If this is costing a lot of money, they would be better off (or I should say the dog would be) by giving a decent donation to a rescue centre and getting them to rehome it with experienced people.
greatgatsbygirl
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2013, 01:46 PM
It is a springer/lab cross.

Bearing in mind that the dog has bitten several people, she is finding it very hard to find a rescue that will take him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm even more puzzled now that any organisation would offer it a home for life if it has a history of biting.

I can be quite dispassionate when it comes to stories like this. If the dog cannot be trained and cannot be rehomed I believe it is kinder to put it down than to condemn it to a lifetime in a rescue.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I'm even more puzzled now that any organisation would offer it a home for life if it has a history of biting.

I can be quite dispassionate when it comes to stories like this. If the dog cannot be trained and cannot be rehomed I believe it is kinder to put it down than to condemn it to a lifetime in a rescue.
I agree. Why pass the problem onto someone else when there are thousands of decent dogs needing homes. Sometimes there are fates worse than being pts.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

You're not being dispassionate, you're being a realist. Dogs without a bite history are hard enough to rehome let alone ones that have bitten several times. We have a dog in who has never bitten as he gives all the correct warning signs but we still can't place him simply because he threatens to when put in certain situations. If he does ever bite he'll be impossible to home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >