View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2013, 09:16 AM

How to introduce dogs to cats successfully?

Hi,

I am looking into buying a house with my OH within the next year or two.

The main worry we have is that he has 2 cats and I have 2 large breed dogs. The cats are currently 1 year old and are pretty confident cats who have lived with small dogs previously (mother in laws chihuahuas!) The male is quite feisty and the female quiet but will defend herself if scared!

Mine however have never really had any contact with cats. Collie has history of OCD (now under control thankfully with no eposides recently!) and does have a tendency to obsess over things however is quite submissive generally except to my older dog. German shep is a lovely old boy but will chase cats if on a walk given a chance and has not lived with cats previously, he will also chase small furries etc if given the chance.

So, how do I go about this without danger to our cats? They are indoor cats so can't up and leave but I would rather not have them stressed if possible!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Well you are going to have to start to introduce them to one another and see how it goes from there aren't you?

No one can come up with a magic formula to ensure they all get on together from their first meeting.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2013, 06:47 PM
I would recommend very controlled interactions. Dogs on lead and baby gates for the cats to escape through. Be armed with some really brilliant treats. Your aim is for the dogs to not get the opportunity to practice chasing the cats.

Get the dogs under control, possibly better if sessions are done separately first. Allow the cats access to the area where you and the dogs are. The cats may not enter at first, just peer in through the door. Reward any positive behaviour from the dog. That could be looking at the cat and looking away, looking at the cat and looking at you, turning away, laying down, generally relaxing. If the dog is getting over stimulated end the session before it gets a chance to bark or lunge and if possible try a larger space in future in order to increase the distance between dog and cat. Continue gradually until both dog and cat start to relax around one another. It may take a very long time and may require lots of tying dogs to furniture but as long as the dogs learn that cats are boring and the cats learn they can get away you should get there in the end.
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Yep, this is pretty much how we started getting Cora used to our cats, though she was only 13 weeks when we introduced them. Dogs on leash indoors when in cats company, and baby gates (we got a great one with a cat door in it!). Are your dogs clicker trained or do you practice reward based training with them? I think this would help, if you reward wanted behaviours while in the company of the cats, perhaps also helping to avoid obsession if they are being stimulated in another way? We did this with Cora, but again, she was just young when we did this.

Good luck with the introductions though, and let us know how you get on!

Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
I would recommend very controlled interactions. Dogs on lead and baby gates for the cats to escape through. Be armed with some really brilliant treats. Your aim is for the dogs to not get the opportunity to practice chasing the cats.

Get the dogs under control, possibly better if sessions are done separately first. Allow the cats access to the area where you and the dogs are. The cats may not enter at first, just peer in through the door. Reward any positive behaviour from the dog. That could be looking at the cat and looking away, looking at the cat and looking at you, turning away, laying down, generally relaxing. If the dog is getting over stimulated end the session before it gets a chance to bark or lunge and if possible try a larger space in future in order to increase the distance between dog and cat. Continue gradually until both dog and cat start to relax around one another. It may take a very long time and may require lots of tying dogs to furniture but as long as the dogs learn that cats are boring and the cats learn they can get away you should get there in the end.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2013, 12:22 AM
The cats at a year old are only Kittens soooo at the same time you reward the dogs, reward the kittens and to that end I suggest you use cat treats - tiny yes but our Boxers love them - mainly I think because they "are" cat treats. You can treat not just when you are trying to control behaviour but also when things are quiet, always keep a good supply of Dreamies handy, ours all like the cheese and tuna varieties more than the other flavours

Treat the kittens first - it's their home, then the dogs, if you take baby steps and don't try to rush or push things you will get there. Just always keep at the back of your mind that kittens are vulnerable which they are. They won't be adults until 2 years old x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female