Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Troublesome prey drive

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody had any ideas about controlling the prey drive in a "wilful" rescue dog.

I used the term wilful because that is how he appears, I've tried every which way to get him to interact with me when we're out but it's rare for him to acknowledge me when we're out and about. He doesn't chase a ball. His recall is excellent if there's nothing more interesting!

I was out walking him this morning in open fields and thought about how I was going to cope with spring approaching and livestock appearing in fields. So far I've relied upon avoidance and keeping him on his lead whilst I scan the horizon but as summer progresses it is harder and harder to see into fields beyond because of hedge growth.

He isn't aggressive with cows or horses but obviously gets a real high from rounding them and keeping them rounded up. Interestingly he doesn't chase sheep as he's run into a nasty electric fence 3 times.

Sandy
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi, what breed is your dog?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
I would certainly keep away from fields with cows, or fields you can't see into. Cows get extremely curious about dogs, and can get up to some speed, sometimes trampling the human to death.

Is a finding a training class an option to learn how to motivate your particular dog?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
I just typed out a long reply and it disappeared grrrrrr how frustrating.

He is a boxer/staffie cross (more staffie).

I did take him to a training class but he hated it, he whined and groaned all the way through. He learnt all the commands very quickly - and will follow my command if the mood takes him.

He is an extremely self-contained creature, he doesn't suffer an ounce of separation anxiety, quite happy to be left alone. When out walking he likes to do his own thing. He doesn't like interacting with other dogs and because of previous aggression problems with dogs he is muzzled whenever off the lead now.

I suspect avoidance will be the only choice I have.

I've had him a year now and it has only been recently that I could say in all honesty that he's started to bond with me - shows some excitement when I come home and likes to be near to be when I get up in the morning i.e big lump likes to try and sit on my lap.

Sandy
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Yes definitely - I avoid fields with livestock like the plague, i don't even try to take him across a field on a lead.

I have heard that if the situation looks dangerous drop the lead it's the dog they're interested in. BUT I don't want to start an entirely different debate pleeaase.

Sandy.

Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I would certainly keep away from fields with cows, or fields you can't see into. Cows get extremely curious about dogs, and can get up to some speed, sometimes trampling the human to death.

Is a finding a training class an option to learn how to motivate your particular dog?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I did take him to a training class but he hated it, he whined and groaned all the way through.
Did the trainer offer any possibly explanation for your dog's behaviour at the class? Or help on how to make him feel more at ease there?

Sounds like you are obeying him not the other way round. Time to change that?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 03:28 PM
You're absolutely right - I do obey him!! I run circles around him. He is not motivated by toys (he has loads and isn't interested in them, except a large boom ball which is very heavy and hard to take on daily walks), he is certainly not motivated by any desire to please me - couldn't give a damn whether I'm pleased or not, he is motivated by treats whilst getting them.

The training wasn't very good tbh, I've written about it on here before. I wasn't impressed. They weren't able to offer any explanation for most of his behaviour and I felt the training was irrelevant to my daily life i.e getting him to go down and stay - why is that relevant? I know you will suggest another training group but because of his aggression and frustration issues, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a group situation.

I've had long debates on the forum about the value of training groups, especially with a dog such as mine. He gets frustrated very easily, as I say he is very self-contained dog.

Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Did the trainer offer any possibly explanation for your dog's behaviour at the class? Or help on how to make him feel more at ease there?

Sounds like you are obeying him not the other way round. Time to change that?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 03:43 PM
The training wasn't very good tbh, I've written about it on here before. I wasn't impressed. They weren't able to offer any explanation for most of his behaviour and I felt the training was irrelevant to my daily life i.e getting him to go down and stay - why is that relevant? I know you will suggest another training group but because of his aggression and frustration issues, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a group situation.

I've had long debates on the forum about the value of training groups, especially with a dog such as mine. He gets frustrated very easily, as I say he is very self-contained dog.
I think I remember the debate. Whilst you think that sit, down etc is irrelevant to daily life - I think it is very relevant. It is about discipline, trust,fun and bond. If you allow your dog to do what he wants to do, you'll have none of the above.

The chances are that he is self contained because it works for him - he does what he wants.. I suspect he is very intelligent and once you touch the right cord you'll be away. To find that cord might take a very experienced trainer/behaviourist. His prey drive then could be diverted to toys that you control.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable in a group situation.
I suspect he picks up on a lot of your feelings and turns them to his advantage.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2013, 03:48 PM
He gets frustrated very easily
I have a dog who gets frustrated very easily. So whilst she is getting frustrated she gets nothing - when she calms down she gets what is on offer at the time, whether it's her food, her turn to train etc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >