Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kevin82
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Soaking dry food

I'm gradually moving 8 week old pup from wainwrights pup trays to wainwrights puppy dry food. he is now on mostly dry food but I'm wondering if I should be softening it by soaking or not.

I'm not noting any problems with mixing the soft food tray with the dry stuff but wondering if it'll need softening once fed on dry alone
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
You could soak it if he doesn't eat it straight away.............

It can get boring for them having the same flavour all the time, especially with it being dry.

I used to add a bit of tuna or gravy in with Diesel's dry food
JessicaPaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
My pup is 9 weeks old now and I'm still soaking her food a little overnight, she eats it so quickly now but doesn't really chew so it helps it go down and doesn't bloat them too much as it has already soaked some liquid up
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-05-2010, 11:28 PM
An 8 week old doesn't need its food softened. However, doing so for now as a transition may work better. Go ahead and phase it out before long.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:33 PM
I used to soak our puppies food a) because it smelt nicer and b) to prevent bloat, with her tummy being so small I used to worry about the kibble swelling up inside her, also, the speed she used to gobble it up, even with special bowls which were meant to slow her down scared me, and soaked food seemed less likely to be choked on!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I used to soak our puppies food a) because it smelt nicer and b) to prevent bloat, with her tummy being so small I used to worry about the kibble swelling up inside her, also, the speed she used to gobble it up, even with special bowls which were meant to slow her down scared me, and soaked food seemed less likely to be choked on!
Hi Kevin , I agree with Lucie's post above. I would always soak puppy kibble, we had one member who lost a puppy when it inhaled dry kibble, also moist kibble has a stronger smell making it more appetising for your puppy .
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 02:37 AM
I always soak my dogs food and they are now all adults. Two of ours can eat dry food although one gets bored and will walk away.

Our youngest now 3, he has had dry kibble twice since he became an adult and twice he has bloated. First time I thought it was a co-incidence but when it happened the second time I resolved there and then never to give dry again.

Contrary to popular belief it never harmed their teeth. Ours are 10, 5 and 3. All our dogs were complimented by the condition of their teeth this year at the vets.

Nice raw meaty marrow bones when he is a little bit older willl help keep his teeth in good condition
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 07:12 AM
I still soak my adults dry food. I think its nicer for them and I also add a little of the wainwrights tray to it and mix in too for extra taste and flavour.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I also semi soak my dogs dry food, I add a wet topper too, be that tuna/sardines/naturediet or wainwrights tray food/scrambled egg/mince/grated cheese... Just to add to the flavour and smell.. Dogs like to smell their food I think
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I also semi soak my dogs dry food, I add a wet topper too, be that tuna/sardines/naturediet or wainwrights tray food/scrambled egg/mince/grated cheese... Just to add to the flavour and smell.. Dogs like to smell their food I think
Agree with above. We add to ours too, wainwrights trays, lightly cooked ground beef or tripe, they adore tripe & so good for them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >