Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Puppy chewing grass

Hi i have had wy 9 week old Bishon Frise for one week now. He is a wonderfull littltle thing, trying to train him to also be a wonderfull dog. This is my first doggie so i know i may be overexciteted but he can leave and sit already. The question i have is that i let him in the garden to do his thing but he likes to chew grass. Ithought nothing of this but my neighbour told me its not good. Maybe a stupid question but i have no idea . C OULD ANYONE ADVISE ME . tHANKS. ps have read a lot of general posts about various things and would like to say what a great comfort you all are to the inexperienced like me
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi Michelle as long as the grass hasn't been treated with any kind of spray/insecticide eating it shouldn't harm your puppy and it will usually pass through the stomach.

Dogs often seem to eat grass when they have an upset stomach and sometimes vomit after eating it. Puppies will also eat anything they can get in their mouths, it is how they explore the world around them.
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Michelle as long as the grass hasn't been treated with any kind of spray/insecticide eating it shouldn't harm your puppy and it will usually pass through the stomach.

Dogs often seem to eat grass when they have an upset stomach and sometimes vomit after eating it. Puppies will also eat anything they can get in their mouths, it is how they explore the world around them.
Thanks for the contact. I dont think he has any upset stomach as he has for the 2 weeks ive had him had firmish stools. Maybe is because hes new to the garden. I am very careful with him , according to hus over obsessive. Only my neighbours dog 12 years seems to chew and swallow grass then be sick.
Meg
Supervisor

07-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Michelle has your puppy got some safe toys to chew?

It needs things like 'nylabones' to help satisfy its need to chew
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Michelle I take puppies to bed with me in a small cardboard box as explained here in a recent thread..
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...77#post1901577

I would not use a lead at night or the puppy may get it wrapped around itself and come to harm, it will also sleep better in a box.

If your Aunts Chi pees in your house as long as you clean up throughly it should be ok . It is best to clean up with a none ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder. Also take the puppy outside in the garden and try to make sure it is 'empalso eat anything they can get in their mouths, it is how they explore the world around the some safe toys tochew
As a first doggie (waiting for my children to get older) i have bought many chew and comfort toys, what are nyla bones thanks
Meg
Supervisor

07-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by adonia View Post
As a first doggie (waiting for my children to get older) i have bought many chew and comfort toys, what are nyla bones thanks
...nylabones are strong and good for puppies to chew on when teething.
Most pet shops sell them and you can buy them on Google. The really hard ones are best