Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2018, 05:32 AM

Animals don't feel pain

I am fuming that the Tories have voted that animals don't feel pain or have emotions. What do others think?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2018, 07:39 AM
I haven't seen that little gem.

Obviously, not of them have pets, or maybe it's brains they are lacking
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Absolute t*@ts... honestly shouldn't be surprised
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2018, 08:11 AM
it's a sick joke!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2018, 09:48 AM
No joke they voted on it yesterday and it is on [a social network] and I have looked it up. Just disgusted with it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2018, 07:00 AM
One has to be very careful of social media ... I believe what happened was as part of our Brexit Withdrawal negotiations Parliament voted for not currently including the banning of live exports of animals as one of the examples ... they most certainly did not agree by a majority vote that animals are not sentient beings, which is totally different. I think they are wrong ... as a country we voted to get out, end of, and the exporting of live animals is one of the EU abominations that was high on the agenda for change once we left. As such, I think most definitely the whole issue of animal rights as sentient beings SHOULD be part of the Withdrawal Agreement ... I condemn them for that. But it is incorrect to say they voted that animals do not feel pain or emotion.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2018, 07:15 AM
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8065161.html

Admittedly this was November last year but I heard it recently. Let's just hope it is wrong.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2018, 08:37 AM
It is a worry Brenda ... every day we are learning more and more about the sentience of all beings ... look at the woman who rescued a bumble bee and they became friends. A few years ago we had a wasp nest set up in the stonework of our house behind the garden tap, which was surrounded by ivy. To turn the tap on and off I had to thrust my hand into the ivy, which was precisely where the wasps entered and exited their nest. There was no way we could remove them without killing them, and I would never do that, so I decided to introduce myself to them and let them get to know me. I knew that wasps have soldiers who patrol inside and out of the nest entrance and that they were the ones to befriend. So I calmly rested my hand on the tap and let the soldiers buzz around it, and very quickly they "accepted" my presence and I could come and go as I pleased. They would of course all buzz out at me when I approached, but they immediately recognised my hand and let me turn the tap on and off with no problem. This to me is the sign of a sentient being that can feel pain and has a level of intelligence however small.

Since this time I have been far more tolerant of wasps - after all they do an awful lot of good. They eat flies and other pests and if left alone and respected will do no harm. The only danger is when you disturb a nest by mistake, so it is always a good idea to look out for nests in the ground when walking through long grass or brushing through woods. The only place I would not allow a nest to establish is in my roof, because eventually the nest becomes so heavy it can come crashing through the ceiling, so I check my lofts regularly in early spring and any queen wasps I find up there are extracted and released to find a nesting site elsewhere.

Currently, our neighbours have a bumble bee nest in the roof of their porch - the bees come and go right above your head and are no danger. They are those little small round bumbles with the yellow stripes, not the big bombuses who are solitary like the one with no wings who befriended that lady.