Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Eggs in Dog Food

I was wondering does anyone know if eggs in dog food causes really smelly foul selling poo's and Coprahagia?.. or whether it's likely to be too many proteins in the food at once?

I've been looking at single protein foods doing research to compile a list suitable for JJ which may also be cheaper as he grows bigger and needs to eat more.

Applaws came up in search as a single protein food (chicken one) but contains egg so wasn't sure if it was the egg or combination of too many proteins in one food that was the issue JJ had with Eden food?

He's had one single boiled egg in a kong or scrambled egg with no effects to his poo, but whether it would be same if its in the food he's eating everyday and in a concentrated form?

Anyone else's dog have issue with some foods/ingredients or not when its fresh (ie fresh cooked rice is ok but have problems with food with grains in)

We're doing elimination diet to try and work out what he has problem with... so far brown rice is ok occasionally, white rice makes his eyes runny as does oats and anything with maize in.

he's fine with beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, (fresh) and fish (tinned or fresh - tuna, white fish, sardines, pilchards) but had reaction to wafcol grain free salmon & potato.

He's been fine with occasional egg fresh but had reaction to food with multi meat/fish & eggs in all together???
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Cannot say I have found a problem, I make my own food and put half a dozen eggs into the mixture each week. My two seem fine on it and Mollie has been eating eggs for all her 11 years.

Brussel sprouts and baked beans now they do cause all sorts of smells from the rear end !
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Cannot say I have found a problem, I make my own food and put half a dozen eggs into the mixture each week. My two seem fine on it and Mollie has been eating eggs for all her 11 years.

Brussel sprouts and baked beans now they do cause all sorts of smells from the rear end !
can't say I've ever given a dog brussel sprouts or baked beans.. lol!

Inca does like scrambled egg for her sunday morning breakfast.

I wasn't sure if it was multi meats and fishes all in one food, just very high protein level overall or cos it has eggs in too that was causing the issues for JJ on Eden.

Obviously if the eggs were the issue he can't go on Applaws either, the high protein levels overall would also affect it as have to find one lower in protein but still cereal free which isn't easy as they they tend to fill them out with cereal for ones lower in protein!

I think Bob & Lushs' was 55% duck so if reduce that to account for moisture it would be less than 50%

JWB seems much cheaper (1.5kg bag was £8.00) with lower meat content but has added salt and according to feeding guide have to feed more. The Which Dog Food site has been good for research as it highlights in red any bad ingredients but not all of them have full reviews.

some advertise as single protein but then have a 'gravy' in a different flavour.. eg chicken based food with lamb gravy so does that count as multi protein? (especially if got egg in too)?

For now he's staying on Bob & Lush for as long as I can manage to afford it, but did want to find a cheaper 'reserve' just incase this one became a problem the longer he was on it!

It's a real minefield, never realised how bad it was until discovered JJ had allergies as Inca never had any. Our family dogs when lived at home with parents grew up on tinned meat and mixer biscuits and lived happily to the ripe old age of 17 (both of them)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
I was wondering does anyone know if eggs in dog food causes really smelly foul selling poo's and Coprahagia?.. or whether it's likely to be too many proteins in the food at once?

I've been looking at single protein foods doing research to compile a list suitable for JJ which may also be cheaper as he grows bigger and needs to eat more.

Applaws came up in search as a single protein food (chicken one) but contains egg so wasn't sure if it was the egg or combination of too many proteins in one food that was the issue JJ had with Eden food?

He's had one single boiled egg in a kong or scrambled egg with no effects to his poo, but whether it would be same if its in the food he's eating everyday and in a concentrated form?

Anyone else's dog have issue with some foods/ingredients or not when its fresh (ie fresh cooked rice is ok but have problems with food with grains in)

We're doing elimination diet to try and work out what he has problem with... so far brown rice is ok occasionally, white rice makes his eyes runny as does oats and anything with maize in.

he's fine with beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, (fresh) and fish (tinned or fresh - tuna, white fish, sardines, pilchards) but had reaction to wafcol grain free salmon & potato.

He's been fine with occasional egg fresh but had reaction to food with multi meat/fish & eggs in all together???
To begin with no food CAUSES coprophagia per se.

I am curious as to how you propose to feed a single protein food?

I have yet to encounter a commercial diet that did this?

Perhaps you mean single source of ANIMAL protein as of course cereals and grains contain protein as do pulses etc.

My dogs are fed raw and Orijen and have lots of different protein sources in their diet.

Cooking changes the molecular structure of food and thus what a dog may be able to tolerate raw he may be unable to manage cooked and vice versa.

I find it hard to understand why white rice would cause a problem when brown rice does not when the ONLY thing that is different is the REMOVAL of something from one to create the other?

If grains and potato are a problem, do not feed them, dogs do not need them.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Instead of the usual salmon & rice the vets receptionist gave us a bag of egg & rice. I didn't notice until the other was finished and of course it was Saturday tea time. My main concern was in case it gave Harvey Colitis, sudden change of diet. It didn't annoy him at all so I would say you should be fine
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Katielea
After going round virtually in circles with Harvey's allergies the Vet suggested we try Hills D/D - Fish & Rice diet. They have another one called Z/D which apparently has nothing in it that any dog could be allergic to. The D/D is just one step down from it. we were lucky, the D/D worked for Harvey. It made a huge difference to his life.

I know you say he is allergic to rice, we thought that too, however on the D/D, Harvey is fine. D/D is only 17% protein.

The other way you can do is is by home cooking, which your dog will love you for . You only cook your protein source just lightly. However it can be time consuming in an otherwise busy schedule. Not at first as its a novelty
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Katielea
After going round virtually in circles with Harvey's allergies the Vet suggested we try Hills D/D - Fish & Rice diet. They have another one called Z/D which apparently has nothing in it that any dog could be allergic to. The D/D is just one step down from it. we were lucky, the D/D worked for Harvey. It made a huge difference to his life.

I know you say he is allergic to rice, we thought that too, however on the D/D, Harvey is fine. D/D is only 17% protein.

The other way you can do is is by home cooking, which your dog will love you for . You only cook your protein source just lightly. However it can be time consuming in an otherwise busy schedule. Not at first as its a novelty
Someone else mentioned Hills z/d but it says not for puppies in the directions when found it online. I was looking at Royal Canine Sensitivity control which is safe for puppies and has hydrolised proteins so its unlikely to cause allergies then you slowly re-introduce things to work out what dog is allergic to. (elimination diet)

However ..first before changing his food yet again I'm going to try a little coconut oil after reading up on its benefits as it is said to help with digestion and allergies..and things like yeast overgrowth, if it was that causing him to be appear allergic to everything and the runny eyes.

It's also said to help with weight loss and energy so might also help my older dog who needs to lose a few pounds. She has been on half the recommended portion of Fish4dogs Weight Control but its leaving her with empty stomach that's rumbling every morning and bringing up bile so perhaps need to increase portion a bit or add rice into hers so she feels fuller on her dinner till breakfast. (older dog doesn't have grain allergies). ..It's her 12th Birthday on Thurs so was trying to keep her low cal to have lost a few pound then she can have a few extra treats for her birthday. (she got Salmon & potato birthday cake, treat hamper form 'My Itchy Dog' so JJ can share some of her treats and a bone shaped biscuit from 'Bonnie Dogs' with 12 today on it!! )