Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I wonder if you guys can help?

My old dog has been on Mobile Bones since she was 10, (she's 12 on 14th March) she is still quite active and I use a mobility scooter so she's used to trotting along at slightly quicker than walking pace.

She can still run a bit but sometimes appears to be in pain. she's fine with puppy as long as he doesn't jump on her which made me think she maybe still getting some pain.

I'm not keen on meds due to side effects but read that liquorice was good for relieve of pain for dogs. I wasn't sure if they meant the liquorice we eat as sweets that makes your tongue go black or of its in some special herbal tablet specifically for dogs?

Also heard Tumeric is good?.. is that just the spice that we buy to add to curries?

Thanks

Kati
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 08:52 AM
You can get fresh turmeric from Morrisons, I grate some most days into my dog's food, the same with ginger and garlic, my dog has a clove of garlic most days.
Olga Hubicka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
We used to give our last dog, Gio, Easeflex chews to help his joints and mobility - he loved them and we think they really helped in the last couple of years of his life. There was almost a complete tub of Easeflex left when he died, so I gave it to someone whose dog has arthritis and who said the chews made a big difference. We first tried Cosequin, by the way, but Gio didn't really take to it.

Other additions to diet - including for Busby, our "new" dog although we've had him for nearly 2 and a half years now - have mostly been mentioned already in this thread. Low fat probiotic yoghurt, carrots, garlic, lots of fishy stuff and so on.

Busby also has Epitaur and Skullcap/Valerian for his epilepsy, but the main thing that we add to Busby's diet that I haven't seen mentioned here is organic apple cider vinegar - unpasteurised and unfiltered. It's by Bionia, rather strangely called "With The Mother" and I get it from As Nature Intended.

I started him on it when he was about 4 months old - he had an eye infection that didn't seem to clear up despite drops (which he hated) from the vet and his eyes were really gloopy. At the beginning, I put a little on a cotton wool pad and rubbed it into the back of his neck twice a day. The result was almost instantaneous - bright, clear eyes with no gloop at all. We didn't like the smell on his fur, though, so I started adding a few drops to his fresh food once a day and have continued ever since. He's never had another eye problem in over 2 years.

Oh - and there's one other thing I give him each day. A small sprinkle of PlaqueOff in his fresh food - it's sort of powdered seaweed and, in conjuction with dried fish skins, helps to keep his teeth clean.

Olga
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Olga Hubicka View Post
We used to give our last dog, Gio, Easeflex chews to help his joints and mobility - he loved them and we think they really helped in the last couple of years of his life. There was almost a complete tub of Easeflex left when he died, so I gave it to someone whose dog has arthritis and who said the chews made a big difference. We first tried Cosequin, by the way, but Gio didn't really take to it.

Other additions to diet - including for Busby, our "new" dog although we've had him for nearly 2 and a half years now - have mostly been mentioned already in this thread. Low fat probiotic yoghurt, carrots, garlic, lots of fishy stuff and so on.

Busby also has Epitaur and Skullcap/Valerian for his epilepsy, but the main thing that we add to Busby's diet that I haven't seen mentioned here is organic apple cider vinegar - unpasteurised and unfiltered. It's by Bionia, rather strangely called "With The Mother" and I get it from As Nature Intended.

I started him on it when he was about 4 months old - he had an eye infection that didn't seem to clear up despite drops (which he hated) from the vet and his eyes were really gloopy. At the beginning, I put a little on a cotton wool pad and rubbed it into the back of his neck twice a day. The result was almost instantaneous - bright, clear eyes with no gloop at all. We didn't like the smell on his fur, though, so I started adding a few drops to his fresh food once a day and have continued ever since. He's never had another eye problem in over 2 years.

Oh - and there's one other thing I give him each day. A small sprinkle of PlaqueOff in his fresh food - it's sort of powdered seaweed and, in conjuction with dried fish skins, helps to keep his teeth clean.

Olga
The thing for runny eyes interests me as JJ gets this. I does not appear to be conjunctivitis but how bad it is does depend on whether something he has eaten had grains in or dairy.

Inca has mobile Bones but had it since she was 10yrs old and maybe its losing its effectiveness? I emailed Lintbells who makes yumove etc as they had said they were bringing out a a supplement for seniors to help with brain function so wanted to see if that was out and Inca did better on that than the Aktivait. I've stopped that for the weekend to see if her nervousness improves.

I know chewing improves serotonin levels she seemed to have gone off hard chews and I'd tried loads of different ones. I tried filled hoof for her today and she seems to be enjoying that, though I don't know that they are like calorie wise!

I'm waiting to hear from someone about kibble sizes of F4D's weight control food as found a small bag for £7 something to try.
Olga Hubicka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
I'm waiting to hear from someone about kibble sizes of F4D's weight control food as found a small bag for £7 something to try.
Fish4Dogs do sample packs for 50p in two kibble sizes.

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/sa...t-control.aspx

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/sa...mall-bite.aspx

Might be worth getting one of each to see what they're like - it's not much of a risk for £1 including postage...! And I have to say that I find the F4D products are generally excellent, although I've not tried the weight control kibble.

Olga
Clarey83
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2013, 10:18 PM
My dog has Viacutan Plus capsules, he is prescibed these and onychotin(also a supplement) with other medication for auto immune disease he has. The viacutan plus is full of omega 3 and 6 and other ingredients for dog/cat skin and coat, he never had a bad coat or skin but since being on these his coat has gone really lush. You dont need prescription for them, I now buy them on line at around £42 for 300.

I also have some apple cider vinegar, just regular asda own brand. put a drop on my dogs lower neck to keep his eyes clear. it cleaned up my mums beagles conjuctivitis too xx
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2013, 10:40 PM
did your mum put the apple cider vinegar in the dogs eyes? or just wipe under them?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2013, 11:16 PM
None and never have unless you count EPO for my cavvy to try to improve her coat when it went 'dull'.

Or pro biotic yoghurt but not every day. I assume you mean proprietary supplements/vitamins whatever?
AlexJC
New Member!
Male 

22-03-2013, 12:25 PM
F4D's Salmon Oil
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3