View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Having spent a full day with Trevor Cooper on his dog law for professionals and being in contact with solicitors on a weekly basis I feel very confident that my Beware of the Dog sign does not increase my liability in the event of.

It certainly has no CRIMINAL implications therefore a policeman may have a personal opinion about CIVIL law but such signs and their fallout (if any) do not come within his (or any policeman's) remit as there is no statutory legislation which governs this sign (unlike other signs which come under the HSE etc).

I know lots of people on lots of KC committees including the General One and if the KC had a view I am sure it would be on the KC website? It is not.

Of course there are lots of quasi legal forums around which state all sorts of things.

I wonder if they state the same thing with those people who have signs up which say "Beware of the Children"?

There are lots of those signs around. Not to mention "Never mind the dog, beware of the owner" and, to my certain knowledge there is no case law on this either.

But if you as an individual do not feel comfortable with such a sign then fortunately it is not compulsory.

I am very comfortable with mine and I choose to keep it until and unless I can be convinced by the relevant legal professional and case law to do otherwise.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
SB - You seem well informed and are happy with your sign. You clearly have lots of back up should you ever need a solicitor or legal advice, I however, would have to pay for advice and therefore am more than happy to go along with the general consensus that these 'Beware' signs are not advisable.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
SB - You seem well informed and are happy with your sign. You clearly have lots of back up should you ever need a solicitor or legal advice, I however, would have to pay for advice and therefore am more than happy to go along with the general consensus that these 'Beware' signs are not advisable.
I would agree with you Jenny.

It could be argued that a 'Beware of the dog' sign means you know or are implying that your dog is dangerous or likely to hurt someone. 'Beware' usually = alerting someone to danger.

I would just get a sign with a photo of a big Rottie that says "I live here" - that should be more than enough to act as a deterrent
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Azz - good idea.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2013, 10:40 PM
I just find it appalling that if we are taking all reasonable care with our dogs, and the fence/wall and gates are sufficient to safely enclose them, we could then still be held liable for any injury sustained by low life who trespass.

Obviously, we are all careful if we have an aggressive dog and make sure that when they are outside on the patch that postie or anyone else calling might have to cross, we supervise them. But what about the guard dogs patrolling at night? Would this mean that if an intruder was brought down and attacked by the dogs, the owners of the factory or whatever would be prosecuted?

Oh there are so many flaws in this, and to be honest I see no need for the legislation. Of course - every time a dog attacks someone, it is reported in graphic detail, but actually it is not that common an occurrence is it, and very often I feel sure that there is a lot more behind the story than is actually reported........e.g. the dog in question being taunted before the attack.

This will be abused, you mark my words.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm in a similar position to JennyG in that our front gate is a fair distance away and not visible from the front door. On the gate post there is a sign that says "dogs running free" with a GSD pic on it. The postbox is by the gate, so the postie doesn't have to come up (he is a dog lover though).
Despite the sign and requests for (unsigned) deliveries to be left at the front gate certain people will still come up to the door and sometimes I feel like padlocking the front gate but Sod's law I'd then need an ambulance or fire engine!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I just find it appalling that if we are taking all reasonable care with our dogs, and the fence/wall and gates are sufficient to safely enclose them, we could then still be held liable for any injury sustained by low life who trespass.

Obviously, we are all careful if we have an aggressive dog and make sure that when they are outside on the patch that postie or anyone else calling might have to cross, we supervise them. But what about the guard dogs patrolling at night? Would this mean that if an intruder was brought down and attacked by the dogs, the owners of the factory or whatever would be prosecuted?

Oh there are so many flaws in this, and to be honest I see no need for the legislation. Of course - every time a dog attacks someone, it is reported in graphic detail, but actually it is not that common an occurrence is it, and very often I feel sure that there is a lot more behind the story than is actually reported........e.g. the dog in question being taunted before the attack.

This will be abused, you mark my words.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Believe me this will be abused, a low life where I used to live was attacked by a dog in its owners garden, he fell off the shed roof, which climbed up onto because the dog stopped reacting to him rattling the gate. Low life produced witnesses to say dog attacked him on footpath, the court believed low life's and owner was prosecuted. Dogs trust ran a press campaign a few years back about the dangers of beware of the dog signs, and I believe it was also mentioned in our pre adoption lesson.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Well I think we've established that there is no 'law' relating to these signs but that, in some cases people have been advised not to use them, and in other cases the fact that they displayed them allegedly went against them in a court case regarding their dogs.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Well I think we've established that there is no 'law' relating to these signs but that, in some cases people have been advised not to use them, and in other cases the fact that they displayed them allegedly went against them in a court case regarding their dogs.
Sadly it probably depends on the judge in court on the day, get a dog hater and they will use anything to make it the dog or the owners fault, we have even got judges in this country who think burglars are brave !
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >