Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bach187
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2017, 12:06 AM

German Wirehaired Pointer has Noise Anxiety

Hello!

I'm the proud owner of a ten year old GWP.

In the past few months she's started to develop some significant noise related anxiety characterized by her NEEDING to jump on top of her owners, heavy panting, refusing to take instruction etc.

Her triggers are electronics noises (eg phones), 'loud noises' (construction noises), or high pitched noises. I believe this stems from a few months back when a fire alarm went off in a nearby apartment. Sadly the issue was not treated properly and appears to be spreading to other 'like' sounds.

She is an older dog, and has had significant change in the past few years (moving a few times) but is reaching a point where its very difficult to handle her (she has separation anxiety as well). We need to find a solution to this issue - which may be difficult as I work full time.

One of the areas she is often is has heavy construction going on around it and this appears to set her off (and will likely continue for some time).

Any feedback/advice you can provide to help us would be appreciated.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-07-2017, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by bach187 View Post
Hello!

I'm the proud owner of a ten year old GWP.

In the past few months she's started to develop some significant noise related anxiety characterized by her NEEDING to jump on top of her owners, heavy panting, refusing to take instruction etc.

Her triggers are electronics noises (eg phones), 'loud noises' (construction noises), or high pitched noises. I believe this stems from a few months back when a fire alarm went off in a nearby apartment. Sadly the issue was not treated properly and appears to be spreading to other 'like' sounds.

She is an older dog, and has had significant change in the past few years (moving a few times) but is reaching a point where its very difficult to handle her (she has separation anxiety as well). We need to find a solution to this issue - which may be difficult as I work full time.

One of the areas she is often is has heavy construction going on around it and this appears to set her off (and will likely continue for some time).

Any feedback/advice you can provide to help us would be appreciated.
Victoria as in Vancouver Island? Is Rogers Chocolate Shop still there?

I know it's not a lot of help but ours has a similar issue. It's mostly fireworks or explosive noises that spook him. Usually, he just flops down and doesn't want to move. The 5th November here is uncomfortable for him. I just try to comfort him the best I can. If we are out on a walk, we just go home and he seeks refuge under my desk.

Patience and love is all I can offer.