Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maltheo
New Member!
Female 

24-06-2017, 08:27 PM

Chronic atrophic gastritis/colit/enterit

A very short introduction of us, as well as background information regarding my question below:

Hey there happy dog owners!

I'm new to the pact so to speak. I am the happiest "mother" of a 18 month old golden retriever boy who's name is Malte, but he has loads of other names as well.... maltheo, malty, maltis and so on.

Me and my dog are Swedes, which means that english is not our main language, so we hope that you all guys will be forgiving when it comes to gramar, spelling and choice of words, weird sentences etc.

Question:
I am writing to try to reach out to those of you who also has a dog with some sort of chronic gastritis.
Why? Because I want to know more about this disease, I wan't to get more experience through other dog owners, I wan't to know how Your life with Your dog looks like, and what question's I should both ask my self and my veterinary, as I wan't to do as many right desitions and choices as possible for Maltheo. I'm thinking such as what diet changes i can do, and if it is neccessary, and what the disease can cause, more that just a "bad tummy". I want to know if there are any studies worth reading or maybe a book. I wan't to know everything. I wan't to be able to understand his condition the best I can. He cannot make any choices, so it's my responsibility to make sure he get's the best out of this life.

My dog Maltheo got his diagnosis "Chronic atrophic gastritis and colit" in september 2016. He is born in november 2015, which makes him about 18 months old by now. His first sign of not being completely healthy was seen at the age of about 4-5 months. So it took about 5 months to get a diagnosis at the veterinary clinic.

We have during our time visited three different clinics, to try to find out what is wrong with him, as he had insane diarrhea, sometimes with blood in it, and very few times vomited. All these things especially happened during night time. Some nights I could wipe up his diarrhea about 8 times per night. (Sorry 'bout the details.)

But today he's feeling sooo much better. He has a special diet from the brand Royal Canin, "Hypoallergenic Moderate Calorie", and he is allowed to eat venison for a treat (with out any... is it called "food additives"?). What I'm trying to say is that he is allowed to eat venison if it's 100% venison, and nothing else in it.

He's having medication every single day. He's having 3 types of pills, and also a fiber... is it called "fiber supplement"? It's a powder that you can spread on top of the food or/and mix with water for example.

I'm not sure if you have the same names of the medicines where you come from but here it is called:

Imurel - A cytostatic medicine
Medrol - Cortisone
Dipentum - Some sort of medication for the colin. I guess it's called something like "Ulcerative Colin" or something?
Vi-siblin - Fiber supplements

He's having cortisone every second day, and he's having cytostatic medicine mixed with "dipentum" every second day. So there is medication each day of the year, but he's having different medicines every other day.

He has been through 2 gastroscopy surgeries. The first one was in september 2016 when they gave him his diagnosis, and he had his second in june 2017, and just told us a few days ago that his gastritis part of the stomach looks soooo much better than last year. He has a lot more healthy cells in there and less scar tissue. He had no signs of tumours or cancer. They said that he had "sparse glandiform". Not sure if i translated that word correct. He also had helicobacters, and they said that they may treat him with antibiotics for that.

So... is there anyone who can bring me some information or just share your story and tell me what your everyday life looks like? As i said, i want to know everything that I don't know. It's very hard to find information in Swedish, that's why I'm here in this forum, to reach out for some help. Wish you all a pleasent day!