Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
but can only presume because of the paperwork involved foreign drivers get off lighter!
By 'get off lighter' I think you mean get away completely because my experience from when we lived in Czechland is that any national from another country will never be brought to justice unless they are caught in the act of crime whether it be theft, driving, drunkeness or whatever.

Provided the person committing the offence can get back across the border there is nothing the local Police can do apart from compiling a report (2 weeks) sending all the way up to the Hungarian Police HQ (1week) who have to pass it across to the foreign office in Poland (3weeks) and thence down the chain of command to the local Polish Police where the accused lives (10 or more weeks) where it will go to the bottom of a pile of 'investigations' and probably only be looked at after 15 to 20 weeks if ever.

Then there is the language problem, different laws, different criminal procedures, not to mention the fact that the Polish Police probably don't much like the Hungarian Police (I daren't tell you what the Czech Police think of their Polish opposite numbers )

There is not a hope in hell of any driver from another country ever being brought to justice provided that they can 'make it back' to their country of origin, and let's face it after the Shengin agreement that is so easy now.

How many brain cells do you need to work out that before you open the borders to everyone you FIRST have to recruit and train an intenational Police Force that can move anywhere to apprehend anyone over any alleged offence. If you want to see how that MUST work just look at the FBI in America.

Even after you have established a multi-lingual Police Force able to drive anywhere and interogate anyone you still have to align the laws of each country so that a standard is applied. What we have at the moment is a classic case of putting the cart before the horse it will never work But our beloved leaders seem incapable of seeing this.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
What a pain Chris - brand new car too!!

Did you see the news story about the lorry slamming into a driver 'on purpose' recently? The police didn't come out for 4 hours or something

Driver recorded it on his dash cam..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-34933347
Dash cam is on the list of things to buy. The insurers did say that if we had and independent witness (of course, we had followed the lorry so didn't get any witness details) then they would have a better chance of proceeding and he did advise to get a dash cam so that the footage shows definite proof of what has happened
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Sorry chris so annoying and unfair. Same for you trouble.
When I drive the M11 into to Essex and back you see some dreadful driving from some HGV drivers. Quite frightening.
Really need your wits about you some are quite aggressive and speed.
We also get a lot of speeding lorries through the village most have no business to come through here but use us a short cut and to add insult to injury they speed over the 30 mph speed limit and come down a weight restricted road.
Our paths are very narrow here and still they abuse the village and the people.
Seems like they can do what they want and get away with it.

I saw about that Azz terrible way to handle the situation.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 09:12 AM
OUCH Chris! Last summer I was passing Torc Watefall, a beauty spot with odd shaped car parking and a magnet for tourists. I drive very slowly there! Big red car coming out and I realised the driver was looking in the opposite direction and not stopping; he was turning right towards me. That dreadful JESUS moment when I knew there was going to be a crash and nothing I could do; there was traffic on the other lane and steering into the hedge braking was not enough. The look on the young Italians face.. Just forgot which side of the road. He started shaking and an Australian man was wonderful. His car was badly damaged , hire car,, mine is built like a tank and little damage. The Aussie man helped with the paperwork and acted as a witness and we sorted the paperwork. Italian accpeted full liability and I never heard again. Yes we probably should have called the Gardai but did not. Second time I have been rammed by a young man.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2