Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen and Carly
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Older rescue having behavioral issues

Hi,

About a year ago I took in a six year old walker hound rescued by another lady. She was severely abused and neglected by her original owner. The lady simply told me she needed a lot of exercise and she couldn't keep up and, since there were kids in the house, she kept getting loose and anybody who's had a hound knows what that means! I grew up with a boxer that was my sole responsibility so I can handle exercise and I live alone so it's RARE she gets away from me. Her original owners used a crate to punish and neglect her so I had to create positive associations and using blankets and toys, putting the radio on for her, and covering the crate made all the difference in the world. Until recently. She's decided she no longer wants to go in and I have to physically put her in. She's been destroying everything but her toys while she's in there, overturning her dishes and shredding her blankets and pads. She howls and cries when I leave and, as I said, is refusing to go in on her own again. I'm not sure what else to do.
My big issue, however, is that, while she NEVER pees in the crate, she pees in the house almost every night. I had crate trained her because she would pee in the house during the day but I thought it was separation anxiety but I moved the area rug at the foot of my bed (I kept my door closed so it could only have been at night), which I never step on, and found it was soaked in pee. I don't know how I didn't smell it! I cleaned everything up and she's found peeing in the living room much more satisfying now and this is not ok. I clean it up with first baking soda and peroxide and once it dries I use white vinegar. She doesn't pee in the same spot, just the same room.
I take her water away in the evening before I take her out for the last time and close the toilets and take her out to bed as soon before bed as I can. She still pees. If she didn't hold it all day in her crate, even having a bowl of water in front of her, for longer than I'm asleep I'd think it was medical but I'm gone for nine plus hours to work and only sleep six or seven. This leads me to believe it's behavioral and she never let's me catch her in the act so I can't do general potty training exercises with her. I'm at loss but this can't continue. I thought about getting a puppy but I didn't want pee everywhere so I'm definitely really unhappy to find this problem! I'm fairly certain her original owners probably beat her if the caught her peeing in the house so she doesn't really understand it's not ok, but she's afraid to get caught. I'm desperate for advice on how to break her of this but also advice on her crate problem too.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170702_151820.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5604  
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Is she in the crate for the full 9 hours plus a day that you're at work?
Jen and Carly
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Yes I tried to avoid it but she won't behave so I have no choice. In the past she's been allowed to roam free and rampant so I know it must be a hard adjustment for her but it's illegal and frankly irresponsible to allow that. Also, where I live, if you do see a dog harassing wildlife or domestic animals it's legal to shoot it, or call the wardens who will shoot it. I've never even heard of a dog catcher in these parts, it's up to the police (who i don't want to deal with). Dog walkers and things like that are few and far between and targeted to the rich. Doggy daycares are only open 7-4 at best but that doesn't work with my schedule. She's an escape artist so I can't put her in an outdoor run unattended. I really don't know what to do.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2017, 10:08 PM
9 hours is a very long time for a dog to be left alone and if she's left in a crate she must be bored out of her mind. To be honest I'm not sure why you got a dog when you work such long hours.

Poor dog 6 years old and what a life, abused and neglected by her previous owner and being left 9 hours or longer by you which to me is also neglect. Sorry I can't give you any help on this other than to say you should rehome her with someone who has time for her.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2017, 11:17 PM
Could she live in an area with a sealed floor - like a kitchen? You could put old towels down for her to pee on, and throw them into a washing machine when soiled. I do agree though, nine hours is a long time to leave a hound breed alone.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2017, 06:09 AM
No dog should be left home alone for such a long period of time. They need to be with their human, not stuck in a crate all day. Poor dog.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2017, 06:47 AM
I'm confused by a few things tbh. You crate her for 9 hours because she pees in the house while you're at work and you say she's reluctant to go in the crate. Well how would you feel being confined to a small space for 9 hours a day? I don't think it's acceptable, at least give her a room where she can walk about, stretch her legs etc. Surely you have a room with a tiled floor where little damage can be done.The alternative for you seems to be wandering free around the neighbourhood, sorry where is the middle ground? You've given two extremes there must be an acceptable middle ground. If it's unacceptable that she pees in the lounge don't let her in there, close the door or use a gate to prevent access.
I get it, you think you're a good owner because you don't beat your dog but abuse takes many forms. Do you think your dog is happy? Are you happy? Why did you think it was a good idea to get a dog, what did you think you could offer?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2017, 09:22 AM
What a sad story 😕
Jen and Carly
New Member!
Female 

05-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Wow, I only work forty hours a week, guys. She gets regular walks and I take her actually tracking because that's her instinctive job. She'll lead me to every poop in the field and I praise her to the skies. I also do cognitive exercises with her as well so it's not like she's ignored at all. We have a great bond, she just has behavioral problems the lady I got her from wasn't honest about and I'm trying to make it work. I've had dogs all my life and while there have been quarks and issues I've always been able to straighten them out - while being gone forty hours a week like most people are. It's extremely judgemental of y'all to make such accusations. She's perfectly happy except when i leave and what apparently some of you are missing is that I have looked for ways around this. When I used to use a baby gate to keep her in the kitchen she'd get it down and pee on my carpet so that's why I no longer do that either. And no, there aren't only two extremes, thanks for reading carefully. I did mention trying to get her into doggy daycare and looking for dog walkers didn't I? I wouldn't be asking for help on here if I hadn't tried everything, I'm a pretty experienced owner.
Jen and Carly
New Member!
Female 

05-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Maybe I need to clarify that she isn't properly house broken because of her past and if you can help me fix that even though she's sneaky about it she CAN have the house while I'm gone. I'd much prefer that, as crating her all day IS a last resort so don't think I don't feel bad or think I find it suitable. I'm seeking your advice so I can stop doing it. I'm blown away by the responses. I thought I was clear and most people I know with dogs work full-time too. Wish I didn't, I'd love to spend more time with her but I assure you she's in a much better place than she ever has been. It's unrealistic to expect an owner to give up working full-time and somebody retired probably wouldn't be able to meet her exercise needs. The lady I got her from said she was overwhelmed by the kids too so should I just give her to somebody on long term unemployment? No. I'm just in an unfortunate situation where somebody took her in, found out about her issues, and downplayed it to get her off their hands and I'm unwilling to put her through that again where she has taken to me so sweetly, especially because that isn't going to fix her potty training problems, I'd just be making it somebody else's problem. I spoke to the lady after a had her a couple months and told her she was peeing on the floor and she admitted only then that she had the same problem. So can I get advice now?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >