register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: When would you rehome?
Food aggressive 0 0%
Dog aggressive 3 5.26%
Didnt like the cat 0 0%
Wasnt winning at shows 0 0%
Couldnt afford the vets bills 0 0%
Didnt match the new decor 1 1.75%
Peed everywhere 0 0%
Fancied a change 1 1.75%
Aggresive to the kids 22 38.60%
Was going on Holiday and had no one to look after him/her 0 0%
Bored of looking after dog 0 0%
Chewed everything 0 0%
Would never rehome 30 52.63%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 12:23 AM

When would you let them go? (reasons for re-homing dogs)

After reading lots of posts on other sites about problems with their dogs when would you feel you were put in such a postion that you had to rehome them ?

Ive heard all sorts of ridiculous reasons and sensible ones too

( Missed one and cant edit it? - wanted to add allergy)
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 12:30 AM
i would never rehome. Even in the case of aggression unless it couldnt be cured and it was for the safety of my family (if i had kids for example, which i dont and dont plan to). I would put alot of effort into gettin behaviourists out and trying to resolve the problem.
i would never give up a dog for any of those other reasons.

reminds me of the lady down the road who has replaced 2 older dogs with puppies
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2005, 12:33 AM
never...no rehoming ....husbands or dogs it's all the same to me no matter how norty ...they are stuck with me until they are PTS or die
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Same here Mini

If the dog is happy with me and I am physically & mentally capable of looking after it & giving it a good quality of life, it is stuck

If I had an aggressive dog whose behaviour, due to a brain disorder, could not be ameliorated through training then it would be destroyed.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 08:16 AM
With me for life, never gave up on a dog yet, never intend to, even the children aggression, I would work something out, somehow.

MO
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi I would never rehome unless I couldn't look after him - incapable of looking after him.

Ian
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-03-2005, 08:38 AM
For 25 yrs i had never rehomed, purely because i assumed they couldn't cope.However recently i had to. A lady who had one of mine recently passed away suddenly, i obviously took the dog back.He settled in to my life style which was so different to what he had been used to.(He lived in the middle of no where, where as i live in a much busier area)However he and his brother just did not see eye to eye. My 4 are house dogs.Within a couple of weeks out of the blue i had a call for a young male. After many visits , walks together ,he went to live with a lovely retired couple 4 months ago, and settled in as if he'd never known anything else. Although i must admit for weeks as soon as the phone rang i leapt up to answer it.He does only live 11miles from me so we are in touch.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 08:57 AM
I would only rehome as a last resort, if the dog was aggressive to kids....
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 09:02 AM
As I have posted before I had to rehome a dog I had for about a year due to his dislike of children as he would growl at my daughter and was jealous of her getting any attention from me , when I was pregnant with my son I rehomed him because I couldnt take the risk with this dog and a new born baby

A woman I know rehomed her GSD bitch because she couldnt get her pregnant and the dog became very nervous of her washing machine because she was kept locked up in the kitchen for most of the day and not even allowed to say hello to visitors ,this woman now had a male GSD who is locked up in her porch area and hardly ever walked or given attention and will prob end up with a mental problem like the one she got rid of
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm afraid as much as I love my dogs my family comes first and if I felt my dog was a danger to my kids then I would rehome VERY carefully.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »