Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Boxers are as capable as any other dog for dog on dog aggression, and especaily same sex aggression, having 2 male Boxers living together, is something, you will have to be aware of in the future, hopefully it wont raise its head, but most experienced Boxer breeders/owners, will be extremely careful keeping this combination together.... this does not mean it will happen, I know of many owners who have more than one male,and it can work out (all depends on the temperaments of the dogs) all female or female to male househould works the best.
Oh, I know that any dog can have dog/dog aggression; and I also understand that same sex aggression is quite common.

It's just that (and I'm thinking of Boxers here) none of the trainers at my club (one of whom has 6 Boxers - 3 male and 3 female, all kept together) have never mentioned it as specific thing to think about, even when they knew I was getting Murphy.

I'm fairly lucky that Max is very submissive and easy-going I guess.
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2007, 04:39 PM
True of any breed.Staffies can live with the same sex but 9 out of 10 there will be at least one incident,this one incident is one to many.I am having the same prob at the moment with my male boxer cross and my irish staffie,but not with one another.Not yet.When i walk them on there own.I have no problems, walk them together and they will have a go at anything.But i have had the experience of this happening in the past with Staffies.Now if my boys are in the garden i am with them.When they play tug of rope together the growls off them both,sound as if they are tearing one another apart.I can pick up when it is going too far,which i then take the rope off them.But both dogs know i am top dog.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Oh, I know that any dog can have dog/dog aggression; and I also understand that same sex aggression is quite common.

It's just that (and I'm thinking of Boxers here) none of the trainers at my club (one of whom has 6 Boxers - 3 male and 3 female, all kept together) have never mentioned it as specific thing to think about, even when they knew I was getting Murphy.

I'm fairly lucky that Max is very submissive and easy-going I guess.
I also know many many owners/ breeders of Boxers, who have been in the breed for many yrs ( a lifetime some of them) and although like your trainer, it can work well, sometimes it wont. Boxers are a dog dominant breed,

As submissive as Max is, you dont know yet how your youngin is going to turn out, if and when he challenges Max for top dog, and Max allows him, all will be well.

But the Boxer is a breed , that does not forgive and forget.

Your trainer also has females equal number of both, balancing it out, and I am sure one of those females, will be the boss, keeping all in check.

Like I said, you may never see any trouble, but it is always wise to be aware of what can happen..

Some breeds will live in harmony with same sex and never have a bad word.... some dont.

I have friends who have males and females (all entire) and never a cross word, I also know firends who can not allow their males to even see each other.

But this is a problem that can happen to us all, when we have multiple dogs.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Is your female in or due in season?
trudy
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2007, 07:05 PM
my little dashound x is out of vets they were not sure if he would make it at one point .he is at my mums getting better he has alot of open wounds to look after and is on a lot of meds he gos back monday for a check up.
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Brill news on your wee dog,glad he made it,he has more fight in him and he should heal quick.But great news.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2