View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't think it is to promote as such but more to be of interest, there is so many classes out there these days, its nice to have choice.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Great ... so what is it? How does it work?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:18 PM
hi dijoiedevie,
sorry you feel you have been attacked for your veiws on training. I find all methods intresting and have over the years seen many methods, personaly I guess I have taken bits and pieces from certain methods which i find of use, this I guess has developed into my own method taken form a mixture of ideas. I think you have encountered the great british tradition of taking something new(ish) ripping it to bits to find any falts/problems then building it back up in a way useful to individual people, hope you dont take it personaly we just kinda like to chew stuff, then find what we can use in it. My comments on useing this with horses was not intended to offend, I thought it was a comparison that some people would understand, then again I guess it was infact unhelpful as most of that type of training in horses is liberty training which after reading your more recent post (soft collar lead) is more like using the new style halters for horses, so sorry if I confused the topic.

X shona X
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I recently started a new training class with my 2 and it works with packdrive, the boy's are really loving it, the mistake I made was their pupy foundation class was treat orientated, but since starting the new classes I have seen a much more willing to please side to them.
oh I live in larbert and would love to see the training in use can you pm the details of the classes for me
Dujoiedevie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:29 PM
That horsepart I din't consider any way insulting. The person who tought this pack drive to me is called 'dog whisperer' in Finland. He somehow talks dog and can read dogs AND humans like open book. That's why I know I have long way to go.
On monday I was with him in problemdog training again. That group started with a bunch of howling, barking, attacking dogs 9 weeks ago. Now there was complete silence, dogs only staring at their owners. Breeds from Irish Wolfhound, GSD, schnautzer, terv, to mixed breed tibetan terrier. All people without experience. It was such a joy to be in there, see that and hear that silence.

J
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
P.S. My new book "Training with Scent Whistling" will be available in all good car boot sales and bric-a-brac centres in time for Christmas.

lmao GSD your priceless
yup think scent whistling could work for my lot :smt044 reserve a copy for me lol
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Great ... so what is it? How does it work?
Lucky star I wouldn't do anything to hurt my dogs and niether would my trainers by that I mean you had mentioned the word gentle...saying that I only recently started training using pack drive and all I can say is my 2 have improved dramatically, more focused and willing to please, without treats...I didn't think it would work because I used treats in the puppy foundation classes... they haven't even noticed the treats are missing...I think the key is repitition, if they don't do it the first second or fortyth time, patience and perserverance will prevail they give in before I do, and they love the big fuss when its right. I haven't trained in these classes long enough to argue any point for them only the difference it has made to my dogs in a short space of time.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Ok well I think it was me that posted that link, when I was searching around looking for an explanation of exactly what pack drive is. I also said that I find much of the jargon used today a bit bewildering and I have always trained my dogs very successfully but in a fashion I sometimes find hard to explain to others. I do what comes naturally to me and it seems to work very well. I too always teach my dog to be very focused on me but actually never use a lead while training, unless of course teaching lead work. I do however use food in the very early stages but it is soon dispensed with. So I don't think you should feel as though you have been jumped on, I think something has been lost in translation somewhere along the way, and while no dog can be trained on a forum as far as I know the dogs don't read the posts the owners do, and all we wanted was an explanation so that we can understand and perhaps discuss your training methods.
Hi Trouble thank you for the link, very interesting reading

Jenni I can't find where anyone attacked you or said (quoting you) ..
First of all, when I tried to start to explain, I was pretty well attacked, the best one being that I called people with treats stupid

I think you may be misquoting my post when I said ..

Yes there are other ways of training without the use of food ,and if you wish to use those methods and to talk about them fine, but I don't think people should be put off using food to train because they are made to feel 'less clever' for using food. There are many training methods, some are more appropriate to certain breeds than others ,I really don't think it matters what method you use as long as you achieve the end results of a happy, sociable dog.
I am interested in all training methods and talking about them other than those which are cruel and harm dogs either physically or mentally. I was actually thinking of posts other than yours when I said about 'not putting people off using food' (posted by a person with a hidden agenda). They didn't bother to reply when questioned and I don't think they will now
http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=66
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Jenni the initial post said ..
Just wonder if anyone in here can mention 10 ways to reward their dog without giving treats (food)
it didn't actually mention training just rewarding ...and you replied ..

Originally Posted by Dujoiedevie
The best reward for your dog is your acceptance. Your voice, your smile, your touch. Be strict, be fair.
I tried to train my youngest female with treats. She did well as long as the food was there. I tried corections, she gave me and it din't work. I tried basically every reward first, except myself.
Then I had training with packdrive. Me and she came as one. Now she obeys willingly, enjoys it and I enjoy it, too!
Perhaps when you used food as a reward you used it incorrectly? Were you using it as a lure or a reinforcer or both? Was the 'food reinforcer' visible ?
You say you used 'corrections' what type of correction?
It seems you began with food in the initial stages of training , then after the dog had bonded with you moved on to packdrive, so yes I guess it worked well at that stage of training.
Dujoiedevie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Jenni the initial post said ..

it didn't actually mention training just rewarding ...and you replied ..

Perhaps when you used food as a reward you used it incorrectly? Were you using it as a lure or a reinforcer or both? Was the 'food reinforcer' visible ?
You say you used 'corrections' what type of correction?
It seems you began with food in the initial stages of training , then after the dog had bonded with you moved on to packdrive, so yes I guess it worked well at that stage of training.
First of all, how training and rewarding can be separated? Rewarding just to be a dog? Umm, does not compute.

And I had the best finnish food trainers to give me hints. The point in all of this, that there was NO BOND between me and my dog. But there was a very strong bond between the food and my dog. Understood? Dog bonded to me, when I used me and bonded to food when I used food. Dog had no respect on either one. And as far as I have seen on training fields, that is the most common problem for normal people, as you said are visiting on this forum. Food and dogs' disrespect. And no pribing, how nicely you theoretize or explain or excuse, makes respect. Not in humans, not in animals, and that part we are the same with dogs.

I really have to ask Theo if he has time to go this over and over and over.

J
Page 9 of 15 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »