Our sister sites
jo_snow-2007
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2007, 05:28 PM

Lethargy please help!

Hello again,
Dexter is causing me some worry again!
Last night Dexter seemed to be restless, not manic just pacing around which he often does when he's tired and determined not to go to bed. This morning he had a short bust of energy followed by serveral hours sleep, when he woke I offered him breakfast and he wasn't interested which is odd now we have found a food for him that he loves. He has been sleeping pretty much all day and when he wakes just seems depressed!! I took him for a short walk and he perked up a bit, he ate a few mouthfuls of his dinner but nothing else!?! Is this prehaps because he is teething? He is about 15 weeks old, had all his innoculations and has been wormed about 3 weeks ago.
Should I be worried about his behaviour~?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Jo is Dexter peeing and pooing ok?
Pacing/restlessness can be an indication of pain, he could have a tummy ache. Has he been panting at all or drinking more/is his tummy making a lot of rumbling noises?

Teething can make puppies a bit down.
Dexter could also have a virus , puppies don't have a lot of immunity and pick up viruses easily, Millie had one a few weeks ago, she had a very high temperature/was depressed and she slept all day .

If Dexter is still lethargic in the morning I would get him checked by the vet..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree with Mini, puppies shouldn't be like this imo????!!! They're playful, manic, then they flop down and sleep, then they start again, I've never heard of a quiet, restless puppy like this, and I think he's in pain somewhere, imo it's not normal behaviour. Maybe the vet?
jo_snow-2007
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Cheers Guys,
Think I will keep a close eye on him. He seems to be peeing and pooing normally, but just not acting 'normal'. His gums etc are healthy colour and he's not panting to cool himself down. If no improvement I'll take him for a check up in the morning.

Jo
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I had this with my boy not long ago. He was refusing his food, sleeping lots and not wanting to play. After a day I took him to the vets, and discovered he had an infection.

Two days on fluids and a course of antibiotics he was as right as rain again.

I would advise a trip to the vet as puppies can go downhill very quickly as they don't have the immunity of the adult dog. Even if only for peace of mind
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 08:38 PM
if he is of food and lethargic you might want to check his temp xxbl
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Not one for worrying people un-nessarsarly when you take him to the vet ask him to check his heart, and then if all ok there ask for a liver shunt test some small breeds are prone to this and not sure if your breed is one of them, for a 15 week old pup he should be terrorising you, hope he is ok and it's something simple.
all the best toni xx
jo_snow-2007
New Member!
Female 

18-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Cheers guys!
I kept an eye on him the other day and by the evening he was beginning to perk up a bit and ate all his food e.t.c, the weekend he was good, I took him to see my parents dogs and he was non-stop all weekend playing! Yesterday he was his normal self, but today again he is lethargic, off his food, wanting to sleep having only just got out of his cage from the night. Half of me thinks he's just growing, and catching up from a few days manic play and energy burning, or teething, but something else tells me that perhaps something is not quite right. I do wonder whether I am just being a hypercondriac for him!! I've grown up with dogs and many friends have had puppies e.t.c and I know they do sleep alot. Everything else like toilet habits, and gums e.t.c are all normal and to touch he does not seem to be hot. He's still drinking a normal amount as well.
If he hasn't perked up by later on today I think just for peace of mind I'll take him for a generall check up.

Thanks for all your help.

Jo and Dexter
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Good luck jo if you take him to the vets, but I hope he's back to normal again now. Nobody knows your dog like you do, and if you feel this is abnormal behaviour for your puppy then to give you peace of mind I would take his temperature if you can, or take him down to the vets. I'm with you on the worrying unnecessarily bit, we're all guilty of that, but like I say, if you feel this is out of character I would definitely get him checked out, if only to put your mind at rest. Yes they do sleep a lot, and I love the way they play like mad and then just zonk out, but then usually when they wake up, they're all bouncy again aren't they, not depressed and quiet like this, I just don't feel it's right for a puppy somehow.