Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenbutler
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2017, 09:31 AM

New greyhound owner

Hello all I'm new to the site and will b picking up our very 1st greyhound this morning 😀 I'm from Colchester and looking for other grey owner that might want to give me some top tips? Also is there a safe place to do off lead training that's 100% fenced in? So he can have a really good run every now and then?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2017, 09:39 AM
try contacting the Afghan hound association, they used to hire a track once a month in different parts of the country to run dogs on. Most of the tracks are now built on so don't know if this still happens, you will have to check. All breeds were welcome, even our Dobermann

taken at ellesmere port track
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Welcome to Dogsey.
I've been a lifelong fan and keeper of running dogs, hope you have a long and happy association with your new friend.
I live about 200 miles north of you so can be of little use as regards fenced areas for off lead training, but would be inclined to check out local dog clubs, particularly whippet racing clubs, who frequently lend out their facilities.
Is your grey an ex-track dog, if so, before recreational racing with him/her please check that they weren't retired through injury and because the dog won't know they can no longer blast around the track at full throttle, they will try their hardest and possibly incur further damage.
Dogs retired through age will need to be given a lot of roadwork to keep them fit enough to race or once again can injure themselves for greyhounds only have a top gear and will need to be fully fit.
I am sure you have been warned of their prey drive and any introductions to small dogs must be carefully managed with your grey muzzled for safety.
Contrary to popular belief, with patience and persistence, greyhounds can be trained to quite a high level. they make very loyal and loving pets.
I really wish you all the very best with your new chum. Bye fer now.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Google DogFriendly.com, or search Dog Friendly Fields on F'book. Put in your postcode and you will find the nearest ones to you listed. Normally charge about £10 an hour plus a small charge for any extra dogs.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Oops! Sorry first address is for the USA! Should read www.dogwalkingfields.co.uk
Jenbutler
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Hello, thanks for all ur replies. He's been home all day and so far so good kids have made a big fuss and he seems to like the attention. He needs to learn some manners he's a food stealer �� (Maybe te kids need to learn to eat faster) he's eaten well and is now chilling on his bed.
I will look to se of i can find some running space for off lead thanks for ur ideas... He has retired for age no injuries so he should still enjoy a good run ��