Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jager123
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Aggressive dog

Hey guys!

In September 2016 me and my partner adopted our dog Jager, she is a 3 year old Rottweiler/Golden Retriever cross. Noone in our family had ever owned a dog so we did lots of research beforehand and we decided a puppy would be difficult for us beginners and decided to adopt.

At the rescue we visited her and walked her a few times before making a decision. On these walks she was the perfect dog and we fell in love with her.

The rescue had limited information on her. She was found as a stray and the microchip information wasn't up to date and she was never claimed. They said she didn't like other dogs and she may have a problem with men as she growled at one of the male workers once.

After adopting her we noticed she just wouldn't use our garden to toilet we had to physically take her for a walk each time, which wasn't a problem in itself its other dogs that is a problem. It's not just dogs its cats,birds, leaves, litter, tractors, buses, lorries. We decided to invest in a muzzle which we got professionally fitted and she can get out of them, thats fabric and basket muzzles. Even with the limited time with the muzzle on its the physical aspect of her thats really hard to handle, she lunges, jumps up on her hind legs, doesnt listen if theres any of the above in her sights. she weighs 30kg and its really difficult to get her away from something if shes locked on to it.

I've tried a range of different collars, head collars, leads and harnesses. Even ones that say 'no dogs' to pre warn people of what she is like. I've struggled on for months and we havent had one nice walk.

I have also hired a couple of trainers to come around the house but they never came back and I also tried taking her to a class but as there was other dogs it wasn't successful.

The aggression is definitely towards men too. In my house shes gone for my brother in law and has bit my dad (on christmas day) and when I had a boiler fitted she went for the man twice, that situation I decided to keep her well away from him but as he had to go in every room it was very difficult. The last straw was today on a walk a man walked past her.. A complete stranger. He showed no interaction but she jumped up at him and locked her teeth around his arm strong enough to hurt him but not pierce the skin, as shes never done that before I had no way of avoiding it, luckily the man accepted my apologies but this is far too dangerous now, One wrong move and someones going to get seriously hurt and my dog is going to be ordered to be put down.

It's mentally draining me and I guess this is my last hope for advice!

Thank you for reading my novel.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2017, 12:25 AM
Get in touch with the rescue you got her from. They may have their own behaviourist who can advise.

I am surprised that a rescue would place an aggressive dog with a first time owner. You need help and a reputable, recommended behaviourist is the way to go. It is far too risky to take internet advice. Without seeing you and your dog, any possible advice is guesswork which can often cause more harm than good.

I do hope that the rescue can help you out. Keep us up-dated with progress and good luck x
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by jager123 View Post
Hey guys!

In September 2016 me and my partner adopted our dog Jager, she is a 3 year old Rottweiler/Golden Retriever cross. Noone in our family had ever owned a dog so we did lots of research beforehand and we decided a puppy would be difficult for us beginners and decided to adopt.

At the rescue we visited her and walked her a few times before making a decision. On these walks she was the perfect dog and we fell in love with her.

The rescue had limited information on her. She was found as a stray and the microchip information wasn't up to date and she was never claimed. They said she didn't like other dogs and she may have a problem with men as she growled at one of the male workers once.

After adopting her we noticed she just wouldn't use our garden to toilet we had to physically take her for a walk each time, which wasn't a problem in itself its other dogs that is a problem. It's not just dogs its cats,birds, leaves, litter, tractors, buses, lorries. We decided to invest in a muzzle which we got professionally fitted and she can get out of them, thats fabric and basket muzzles. Even with the limited time with the muzzle on its the physical aspect of her thats really hard to handle, she lunges, jumps up on her hind legs, doesnt listen if theres any of the above in her sights. she weighs 30kg and its really difficult to get her away from something if shes locked on to it.

I've tried a range of different collars, head collars, leads and harnesses. Even ones that say 'no dogs' to pre warn people of what she is like. I've struggled on for months and we havent had one nice walk.

I have also hired a couple of trainers to come around the house but they never came back and I also tried taking her to a class but as there was other dogs it wasn't successful.

The aggression is definitely towards men too. In my house shes gone for my brother in law and has bit my dad (on christmas day) and when I had a boiler fitted she went for the man twice, that situation I decided to keep her well away from him but as he had to go in every room it was very difficult. The last straw was today on a walk a man walked past her.. A complete stranger. He showed no interaction but she jumped up at him and locked her teeth around his arm strong enough to hurt him but not pierce the skin, as shes never done that before I had no way of avoiding it, luckily the man accepted my apologies but this is far too dangerous now, One wrong move and someones going to get seriously hurt and my dog is going to be ordered to be put down.

It's mentally draining me and I guess this is my last hope for advice!

Thank you for reading my novel.
I also have a dog from a rescue centre. Also about 30kg.
No prior history before he was picked up as a stray. It's a risk but one that worked for us. A gentle giant.

Had he exibited the behavious yours does our recourse would have been to return him to the centre. Maybe you should consider that. Before it is taken out of your hands.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2017, 08:17 PM
deleted post removed
When I read a wall of text like this I'm so glad that it's an issue I don't have to deal with.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by uahearn View Post
Here's a great article that might help with your dogs aggression.
BTW, welcome newbie!!
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Most abused dogs tend to develop ferocious behavior with time. But slowly they become calm and peaceful if treated the right way.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2017, 09:57 AM
The rescue you got her from is completely at fault here, they should never have allowed you to adopt this dog , giving a firs time dog owner a dog with major issues is totally irresponsible on their part.

You need to get back in touch with them as demand help, from your post this is escalating to the point she is going and biting men, you cannot carry on like this, if you are not capable of turning her round, then you must make sure she does not have contact with any men, you may find yourself in serious trouble is she bites the wrong person. the dog on dog aggression can be managed, but again you need to have some experience or get professional help to deal with this, but if she is unpredictable with men, that`s another level that is going to be harder for you to deal with.

You really must speak to the rescue, they are 100% at fault here.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-03-2017, 10:05 AM
I agree, you haven't the experience to manage this, and the dog is aware of this. Please contact the rescue, I think it's gone way beyond help actually. You could end up being sued big time the way the law is nowadays and someone could be very seriously hurt. I know its going to break your heart but there comes a time when you have to put yourself and your family first, and it is now