Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I know I read that and I know castration will not help now. I wasn't being funny in my post and I'm sorry if it came out that way, not intended. I was just trying to point out that I could forsee that I would be in that situation too so acted well in advance as I knew there is no way I could cope with it.
Noooooo you didn't across as being funny at all - I was just pointing out that she does have plans to spay her bitch

Debs
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Phew thats ok then I know sometimes the typed word can come over different to if you saw someone saying it face to face.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Well I wish you good luck and this is where I'm thankful my boy and girl are spayed and nuetered.
You will have to keep them apart for 4 weeks as others have said and your girl could well try to get to your boy as well and both will be feeling very frustrated, especially your boy being able to smell her round the house.
Can you not put one of them into boarding kennels for a while to ease the stress on you and them.
Would it not be wiser to get at least your boy nuetered to save you and he having to go through all this again.
I had my boy nuetered when my girl was 4 months old to make sure I wouldn't have this same problem.
I have planned since I got Rosie at 8 weeks that she would be spayed after her first season. I don't believe in routine castration of dogs if there isn't a medical problem however.
I had hoped Rosie would get her forst season out of the way when Dash was still too young to take much notice but sadly that is just typical of Rosie. Dash is now 11 months old though.

We'll cope by crating in seperate rooms when we can't be there and loose in seperate rooms when we can be, it's only for 4 weeks and it's only this once so it won't be too bad. We'll probably all be wrecks by the end (dogs and humans) but we'll get over it.

Actually it all explains Rosie's personality, she's had 15 months of PMT!!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Good luck I've done it once & so has a friend, main problem we had was the dogs lost weight & condition wittering, still they soon pick up afterwards. Friend had her dog done as she wants to show & breed from her bitch, but he still loses weight & condition when they are in season, only thing is nothing can happen & my friend sleeps more soundly.
I had my bitch done as I knew I did not want to mate her again & I wanted to show the dog who was her son.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Well it's almost been 2 weeks now, hasn't been any hassle yet. I've kept them seperate ( one crated, one not, alternating) but they've been in the same room and no howling, whining or carrying on of any sort. They've been going out into the garden together, under very close supervision of course but have shown no interest in each other, over and above what is normal for them, she's not attempted to stand for him ansd he hasn't tried anything on with her, just ignore each other really. The only thing I've noticed is Dash is being extra vigilant about weeing on top of everywhere Rosie has wee'ed.

Rosie didn't start to bleed until about 4 days after I first noticed the swelling and she's been bleeding about 7 or 8 days now, how long does this normally last?

When I originally posted it must have been very early in her season as she was hardly swollen at all compared to how she is now, thank goodness I noticed early on.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by AlbionLass View Post
Well it's almost been 2 weeks now, hasn't been any hassle yet. I've kept them seperate ( one crated, one not, alternating) but they've been in the same room and no howling, whining or carrying on of any sort. They've been going out into the garden together, under very close supervision of course but have shown no interest in each other, over and above what is normal for them, she's not attempted to stand for him ansd he hasn't tried anything on with her, just ignore each other really. The only thing I've noticed is Dash is being extra vigilant about weeing on top of everywhere Rosie has wee'ed.

Rosie didn't start to bleed until about 4 days after I first noticed the swelling and she's been bleeding about 7 or 8 days now, how long does this normally last?

When I originally posted it must have been very early in her season as she was hardly swollen at all compared to how she is now, thank goodness I noticed early on.
Hi glad you've had no trouble as yet but I assure you your dog (and others) will show most definite interest at only 7 or 8 days into her bleed it may just be that she's not ready as yet as most bitches 'stand' and are receptive between 10 to 14 days. Although some may be receptive for their entire season. You will notice this as the blood starts to dry up..this is her most fertile (and receptive) time. So please be extra careful for her entire season as if she's still bleeding you've some way to go yet.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Meganrose
I was wondering how long the bleeding lasted to?
Dori our retriever only had a bit of blood and didnt last very long but Katie our GSD we noticed bleeding last friday and she is still going and their is longs compared to Dori,
My OH says it looks like the chainsaw massacre
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
Hi Meganrose
I was wondering how long the bleeding lasted to?
Dori our retriever only had a bit of blood and didnt last very long but Katie our GSD we noticed bleeding last friday and she is still going and their is longs compared to Dori,
My OH says it looks like the chainsaw massacre
Bitches due vary quite considerably on this they become sexually mature when they exhibit their first heat period, usually between 6 and 16 months of age, depending on the size and breed. Most bitches come into heat twice a year. The estrous or heat cycle of an intact bitch is divided into four separate phases: Proestrus, is when the bleeding starts and the vulva swells. This phase usually lasts between 6 to 11 days, but generally lasts for 9 days. During this phase hormones stimulate growth and development of follicles within the ovaries, and the levels of the hormone Estrus increase and it is this rise which changes behaviour in the bitch.

Next is the Estrus phase begins when the bitch allows mating. During this phase the vaginal discharge becomes a straw or light pink color and starts to dry up. The average duration of estrus is about nine days, but it can last from 2 to 21 days, and that is why we need to be vigilant throughout the heat cycle. In this stage the bitch releases her eggs (ovulation). All eggs are released into the oviducts within 24 to 48 hours. Generally, larger dog breeds ovulate more eggs than smaller breeds. Released eggs undergo maturation in 2 to 3 days and remain viable for a period of 12 to 72 hours.

Diestrus lasts about two months, begins with the bitch becoming unattractive to the male dog. Diestrus is under the influence of the hormone progesterone and if the bitch has been bred, this phase would be the beginning of pregnancy.

Finally Anestrus is considered to be the quiet rest stage in the estrous cycle. Factors such as breed, age, size, and health condition will influence the duration of anestrus. The length of anestrus varies, lasting on average about 3 to 5 months. Then it all begins again!

Just as a footnote the exceptions to this are wolves and basenjis, which typically exhibit only one heat cycle per year.

Hope that helps
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 03:17 PM
You are lucky that your male is one of those who only shows an interest at the right time, often non experienced males show an interest all of the time.
As Megan rose says most bitches are ready for mating between 10 to 14 days from the start of the season but thats only an approximation, have had bitches come to my dog who were ready at 6 days & I had a bitch who wasn't ready till her 30th day so just keep vigilant. The colour of the blood should go pale when she's ready for mating, but it doesn't always happen so its best not to rely on this. They often then show colour again afterwards for another week or so. Good luck
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2007, 04:33 PM
So keeping them seperate for 28 days from when I noticed her vulva swelling won't be enough to be safe?, it's not a problem, I've no intention of letting then have unsupervised access to each other. At the moment she as been bleeding for over a week and it is still very red ( looks like there's been some terrible massacre in my kitchen, am forever mopping lol).
I know I must sound like the most hopeless irresposible owner who probably shouldn't even have dogs to you experienced bitch owners but as I've said before I've had dogs all my life but never girls, always boys so please forgive all these stupid questions. This is only going to be a one off (unless she comes back into season within 3 months of this one ending) as she will be spayed before her next heat.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >