Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2006, 08:06 AM

depressed dog

I have a siberian husky of three years....I walk her every day on the moors and woods, love her to death,she goes everywhere with me and it seems its just not enough....I have a hugh 5 acre garden that she can wander around in and this still seems not enough, she never wags her tail and mopes around like I have hit her...I thought she would like company and got a northern inuit puppy....at first it was great, they ran around and she loved it, but then after two weeks she stopped eating, hid away under beds and cowered when the puppy came anywhere near her....two months down the road I have rehomed the puppy and yes she seems better but really still depressed and still wont eat anything I give her...if someone else gives her anything to eat; she takes it...I am very upset about the puppy and dont know what to do with crystal...any answers very grateful
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Hi lyndella sorry, a few questions here..
What does your vet say, maybe Crystal has some illness?
Has she always been this way,if not when/what age did it start?
Where did she come from, did you see her in the litter with the dam?
What was the dams temperament like? ....
Is there any one thing that makes her brighter ?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
How long have you had her? Where did she come from (breeder, shelter, private re-home, etc.) How long has she been displaying this behaviour? Have you had a thorough vet check (urine, stools, bloods, heart, etc.) to rule out any physical problems? Do you train her? Does she live inside or out? What did you do when she and the puppy were interacting? Did you ever remonstrate with her for anything to do with the pup? What is her routine? How much physical and mental exercise does she get?

The more information you can provide the better

ETA - snap Mini
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2006, 08:25 AM
hi mini....she has always been very quiet...shes very well behaved and can take her anywhere....I am going to take her to the vets this week....she started to behave like this about a yr ago, nothing seems to please her...the only time she is happy is when she sees someone else, god I know that sounds like she hates me dosent it, and yesterday wondered if its because we are joined at the hip, do you rekon we need to have some time out...her behaviour with the puppy was extreme and everybody noticed it....I am wondering if she just wants me to her self...Im very unhappy about the puppy called storm, she has gone to a total paradise for dogs though./..I feel abit angry with crystal..maybe get a dog that was the same age as her
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2006, 08:27 AM
one thing I did very wrong when I got the puppy was too really shout at crystal when she had a go at the puppy...but crystal killed a sheep two weeks befor and storm looked like a little lamb ...I should have left them to sort it out....she came from chester and is from a good breeder...apperantly....I was given crystal by my boss...she sleeps wherever she wants, mostly on the sofa...you should see her when I drive around, she sits on the front seat with her head down....we walk about 3 miles a day in the week and about ten in the weekend...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

10-04-2006, 08:51 AM
More questions

Is this behaviour present all the time? Is she spayed? If so, how long ago was the op performed and, if the behaviour is cyclical, does it coincide with the time that she would have been expected to have a season? If she is entire is the behaviour more pronounced before/during/after the season?

Was she punished in any way for sheep-killing and, if so, who punished her and when and how?

Can you pin-point anything that may have happened 12 months ago when you say this problem started which may have been a trigger? Any change in environment, family upsets, etc.?

As Mini asked - does she respond in a favourable way to any stimulus, such as food, toys, games, etc. that you can use to create a trusting bond between you?

What sort of discipline, if any, do you use with her?

The puppy has gone and you need to put that behind you now and concentrate on Crystal. I would not even think about getting another dog, of any age, until your present difficulties are resolved.
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Someone mentioned to get her spayed, maybe do that....her behaviour changed when I split up with my boyfriend, but that was two yrs ago.....nothing seems to work, I really try with her and make sure we vary our walks and social life.....when she killed the sheep I just didnt make eye contact with her for a day and kept her on a 50 foot lead for a month, she only just been trusted to not have it on, I dont hit her, just give her the silent treatment..but she very rarely ever has to be told off, hardly ever, shes a lovily dog.......just one worrying thing I have noticed; i havent seen any blood on her seasons for about a yr....she gets bad fantom pregnancy, but this lasts only for one week....I am at a loss...and your right, I have to put the pup behind me and sort her out...will go to vet this week....I have just tried to feed her now...chickken and rice with dr jons biscuits....not interested....over a week now....lyn the worried
she is like this ALL the time....the only time she is happy is when we go out for a walk or someone comes to visit.......
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

10-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I think that you are correct - the vet should be your first port of call and maybe ask him to refer you to an accredited behaviourist who can observe Crystal and the interaction between you. Phantom pregnancies tend to get worse each season and can be very distressing and stressful to the bitch. I would seriously consider spaying - but have a word with your vet.

The silent treatment will not work after the fact. You have a three second window to praise or admonish behaviour. After that the dog will simply be perplexed and not realised why it is being 'punished'.

You said originally that the behaviour started 12 months ago, now it seems that it has been going on for 24 months since your b/f departed? It is quite important to know which time is correct, not just for us but for any behaviourist that you may consult. Was she particularly attached to the b/f?
Meg
Supervisor

10-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by lyndella
Someone mentioned to get her spayed, maybe do that....her behaviour changed when I split up with my boyfriend, but that was two yrs ago.....nothing seems to work, I really try with her and make sure we vary our walks and social life.....when she killed the sheep I just didnt make eye contact with her for a day and kept her on a 50 foot lead for a month, she only just been trusted to not have it on, I dont hit her, just give her the silent treatment..but she very rarely ever has to be told off, hardly ever, shes a lovily dog.......just one worrying thing I have noticed; i havent seen any blood on her seasons for about a yr....she gets bad fantom pregnancy, but this lasts only for one week....I am at a loss...and your right, I have to put the pup behind me and sort her out...will go to vet this week....I have just tried to feed her now...chickken and rice with dr jons biscuits....not interested....over a week now....lyn the worried
she is like this ALL the time....the only time she is happy is when we go out for a walk or someone comes to visit.......
Hi lyndella I don't like the sound of this and ASAP before I did anything else I would get a full health check at the vets, then if all is clear you can start looking at behaviour.
You say......''the only time she is happy is when we go out for a walk or someone comes to visit''if she was ill this could be because the stimulus of excitement/adrenalin temporarily overcomes 'the problem'.

Sorry SB posting together here...
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I would get a Vet check, totally agree with everyone helping you here your all doing a great job
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >