Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattiesmom
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2018, 11:28 PM

Uninterested

Ollie, our Wheaten Terrier, 18 months old is so laid back it's like he has no personality. He was 4 months old when we adopted him. We don't know anything about him prior to that other than we were told he was kept with several other puppies. He has always loved other dogs. The only times he has ever really played was when he was with other dogs. Although he's friendly and seems to like people especially children he doesn't want to interact with anyone. He likes being bathed and groomed and being petted up to a point. Mostly he lays around and sleeps. He's not treat oriented and takes toys outside and hides them. He doesn't seem unhappy just uninterested. Far different from any dog we've ever had. Is this typical for his breed, was he too old to bond when we got him? Have considered getting another dog to see if would perk up.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2018, 11:37 PM
I doubt it's anything to do with bonding and I'll betcha he is very bonded to you and your family. Some dogs, like some people, just have a very quiet personality. They live their life in the slow lane if you like.

Try to love him for who is is. He may be different to what you thought you were getting into, but he is his own sweet self and by the sound of things a very easy dog to live with
Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2018, 07:39 AM
Its not really typical for his breed Wheaton's are usually pretty energetic. In my experience they tend to be hyper and love interacting with people. They love to play, run, and jump. They're a typical terrier.
As we all know though every dog is an individual. He sounds rather aloof which is a breed trait my mom loves about her Rottweiler's. I agree with Chris he seems like a rather pleasant to live with boy. I'm sure he loves and is bonded to you seeings how he's so chilled and calm. My Aunt Weston is a mess lbs. He jumps on everyone who comes threw the door jumps from couch, to chair, to coffee table, barks for attention, runs out the door every chance he gets, chased everything that moves he's just spoiled and onery. So it could defiantly be a blessing he is so mellow and content.
If you've thought about a second dog and feel your ready for the responsibility of two it might be food for him just make sure you include him when picking one out.

I think your lucky to have such a calm balanced dog!