Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Cost of titre testing

Does anyone titre test their dog, rather than giving them annual boosters?

If so, would anyone mind letting me know how much it cost them to titre test the dog for the usual vaccination boosters?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 06:03 PM
i havet done mine yet as my vet only vaccinates every three years so we havent missed any yet but i asked her and she said it would be £80
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Dont forget you are only testing for circulating antibodies and NOT the memory cells, memory cells are the things that mount he response to disease and these cannot be measured, so, if your dog has NOT come in contact with one of the diseases it was vaccinated against recently it may have a low titre count, BUT that does NOT mean it needs a booster!! Lepto does not illicit tires and cannot eb tested for anyway. Uni told me it was a waste of money as it offers no guarantee whatsoever.
Dawn.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks for giving me an idea of the likely cost Ben Mcfuzzylugs (cool username btw )

Borderdawn - that's really interesting info, I had forgotten about the memory cells and didn't realise titre testing didn't take these into account. Which uni was it that told you it was a waste of money? pm me if you like - I just want to make sure I make the right decision for my dog. If I understand you correctly, the implication is that even with titre testing there is a good likelihood, or rather nearly a certainty, that you are still over-vaccinating the dog?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Im fairly sure it was Glasgow Uni, but to be certain Id have to find the details that came back to my Vet, it was 5yrs ago, so Im not sure I could lay my hand on it!

My bitch scored low Parvo and borderline Distemper (or the other way round!) I was told that it doesnt mean she has no immunity to those diseases, just that she has not come into contact with the diseases for her memory cells to mount an immune response.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 07:02 PM
It's OK dawn - don't bother trawling thru the papers - you made an interesting point re the memory cells that I hadn't thought of. It does make sense.

If you were told titre testing was a waste of money, do you still do it?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 07:53 PM
No, had puppy vaccs on all and no others. My oldest Border was done till he was 3, he's 9 now.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I think mine were £70 i'm not sure. I had mine done once and my vet agreed it was also a waste of money and time, I wouldn't get it done again. It's a shame as to be PAT dogs/cats they need to be fully vaccinated and that means boosted too.
batmandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Hey borderdawn, are you sayig that you only vac up to three years old? i have to say i had a great referal vet for my GSD and she said she never did vacs to her own dogs over 2 unless there was an out break in the area or needed to go into kennels
Mandy
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by batmandy View Post
Hey borderdawn, are you sayig that you only vac up to three years old? i have to say i had a great referal vet for my GSD and she said she never did vacs to her own dogs over 2 unless there was an out break in the area or needed to go into kennels
Mandy
Hi Mandy.
I am saying that both my younger Borders, aged 21mths and 6yrs only had puppy vaccs, the 9yr old had vaccs up untill he was 3yrs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >