Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Konspiracy
New Member!
Male 

15-08-2012, 12:35 AM

Repairing a Flexi lead for a quite large Labrador

Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum - dog had the runs last week & problem solved thanks to advice on here!
Another problem has arisen tonight. My beautiful bright black Lab has managed to chew partly through one of these extra strong flexi leads - 8 metres long especially for larger dogs (Labs) . I think we paid around £30 for this at the end of May.
It's not totally chewed through it, but was wondering are these things repairable (as they aren't very cheap)... Looks like its possible to cut the chewed bit off & then move down the attachment a couple of inches & then get it sewn back some how? I realise it would take a professional (cobbler?)to repair, but is this possible to do?
We will probably end up buying a new one, but just curious if anyone has had the same problem & had it repaired
Any advice much appreciated.
Regards..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Personally I would say its most likely safer to just buy a new one - but I guess you could ask a cobbler or someone what they think
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I would agree with the above, i'd probably replace it to be on the safe side. It's expensive but there's no sense in gambling with your dog's safety, better to be safe than sorry
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 05:12 AM
I have changed the clip on a flexi lead (a long time ago) I used a fabric glue and strong thread, I still have the lead, although it's not in use these days.

So long as there is enough sound webbing from the cord to cut off the damaged bit and reattach the clip then it is possible, I wouldn't overlap two bits of the webbing further up however.

I would think a cobbler wouldn't charge too much to stitch it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 05:17 AM
I do not use flexileads however if I did, I would remind myself that my dog's life could depend upon it (and perhaps other people's) and would discard it and buy another one.

Bear in mind, should a disaster happen, apart from the any personal canine/human tragedy, any insurance would be rendered invalid if the cause was due to the repair.