Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2009, 06:21 AM

They've spoiled my country

Scotland, it's now festooned with windmills, but the clowns in the Scottish parliament aint finished yet, now they want to build the largest pylons to feed the power from the windmills in the highlands to the central belt where the majority of scots live.

Now we're up in arms, plans for the proposed power lines have been submitted to Brussels, no doubt they'll be approved coz they're a bunch of clowns over there too, and they don't even live here.

I have travelled all over Scotland in the past 50 years or so and I'm appalled at the number of these windmills installed in the most scenic places in my homeland, there's thousands of them.

Tourists want to see our wonderful countryside they don't want to look at white windmills I'm sure, unless they're a bit perverse at what they like to see.

However, England is on the right path regarding renewable energy, they're planning to build 18 new nuclear plants over the next 9 years, good move IMO, we've had Nuclear plants in Scotland too, 3 of them, but sadly the Greenpeace crowd and other nonentities persuaded the Scottish parliament to phase them out.
They were built originally for weapons grade uranium so I suppose we can't blame them for their efforts to phase them out but the cold war has now ended.

We all need to shift from fossil fuel to power our electricity plants, building windmills is only a quick fix IMO, and they're ruining our countryside by erecting them.

I will never vote for the SNP ever again, I thought they were a forward looking party but they can't see the woods for the windmills.
mark meek
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-04-2009, 06:29 AM
dont know about you but i would rather have a windmill in my back garden than a nuclear power plant
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 06:35 AM
We have a huge wind farm off the coast here - personally i can't see the problem with it ! as said i'd rather that than nuclear power stations
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 06:42 AM
They have them where my mom lives in Lincolnshire, stretching out across the fields. Never really thought about them to be honest although I know they have petitioned in Lincoln about them.

However I think that would suit me rather than Nuclear plants, now that I wouldn't like.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 07:35 AM
The company my OH works for has 3 huge wind turbines in place, which we can see from our landing window, the electricity they generate they sale on to the National Grid who then supply them with free electricity for all their lighting. Personally I can't see a problem with them either, they are planning on more again which I have no objection to.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:11 AM
I have no objections to them. Do have one question though are they noisy?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I think they can look rather nice, Now I know that sounds weird, and I understand your objections. But the ones I have seen, look rather serene, in a weird way. I would sooner have them than a neuclear power plant stuck in the middle of the countryside....or even worse a big fat ugly power station, like we have at Fiddlers Ferry.
Just my opinion
Elaine xxx
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:24 AM
I remember going on hols to Norfolk a couple of years ago, to a place we'd been before - there was an offshore wind farm there, where once there used to be views. Does spoil the view, of course - but like the others, I'd rather have a wind farm than a nuclear plant.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I may be a bit weird but I like them, I think they look beautiful and have no problem as long as they are built somewhere that has minimal impact on the local wildlife.
I object more to the housing estates that seem to be being built everywhere including greenbelt land
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I may be a bit weird but I like them, I think they look beautiful and have no problem as long as they are built somewhere that has minimal impact on the local wildlife.
I object more to the housing estates that seem to be being built everywhere including greenbelt land
Tell me about it, we have woodland to the side, front and back of our house. The water board knocked our door last week to ask if they could check our drains to see which way they flow as 17!! houses are being built in front of our house. This was the first we had heard of it, apparently because the land belonged to the Council and they are building council properties on it, they didn't need planning permission. Time to think about moving I think!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >