Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Normstan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Adopted 18mth collie chasing shadows

Hi all,a friend has just adopted a border collie cross. He's 18 mths very much a live wire but a good boy. He does have a few issues but am sure they will be ironed out my main concern & that of my friend is that in the house is he gets freaked by shadows,ie the tv flickering,shadows from lights etc etc. Any helpful advice gratefully received
miching
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2017, 05:09 AM
I was just reading about this thr other day as I was looking up info about pups being taken from their mom too young, or having a traumatic upbringing. I think your friend will certainly want to bring it up to the beahvioralist/trainer that he/she sees. It could be an insecurity issue.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2017, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by Normstan View Post
Hi all,a friend has just adopted a border collie cross. He's 18 mths very much a live wire but a good boy. He does have a few issues but am sure they will be ironed out my main concern & that of my friend is that in the house is he gets freaked by shadows,ie the tv flickering,shadows from lights etc etc. Any helpful advice gratefully received
Give it time.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Give it time but make sure the protein levels in the food that you feed are quite low to start with. Of course it does depend on what you are feeding as to the % of protein. High protein won't help his problem.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Normstan View Post
From what I understand shadow chasing is fairly common in Border Collies. There's plenty of on-line information on the subject which advises using distraction techniques to prevent it from becoming a habit and the risk of the dog suffering from OCD.

If it were my dog I wouldn't "give it time" in the hope the behaviour "goes away", but rather take the appropriate action to prevent and stop it from becoming a deeply entrenched and undesirable habit.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
From what I understand shadow chasing is fairly common in Border Collies. There's plenty of on-line information on the subject which advises using distraction techniques to prevent it from becoming a habit and the risk of the dog suffering from OCD.

If it were my dog I wouldn't "give it time" in the hope the behaviour "goes away", but rather take the appropriate action to prevent and stop it from becoming a deeply entrenched and undesirable habit.
As an owner of a collie......
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2017, 07:19 PM
A quick google will bring up a multitude of Collies with shadow chasing issues, apparently it can be very difficult to resolve.