Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Too Much Heat

Hi my OH gets a lot of trade papers re Electrical things,he showed me an article and I wonder if other dogsey people have experienced this.A lady took her poodle into a grooming parlour,they were busy,but she left them to it,came back and found that her poodle had collapsed,and had red marks under the skin,the worst place was round the neck,she rushed it to the vet,the vet pushed fluids into it and liquid steroids,he reckoned after the blood test, that the dog had gone into extreme shock after being over heated,he also said that she was lucky that she had a white poodle,because if she had a black one.it wouldnt have been visible. Anyway armed with this she went to the groomer,who herself admitted,that she had been so busy that she hadnt checked,and left the poodle in for over an hour,the cabinet didnt have automatic switch off.It seems from this article that it has happened quite a few times with fatal results.I have seen them demonstrated at Dog Shows,but the article said a lot of the time that people treat it as a huge hairdryer,but have had no formal training,I am not sure if it was just this model that didnt automaticly cut out,but it makes me wonder,how many dog owners just leave there dog at a groomers,not at all worried about what could happen to there pet,as they believe that its like us going to the hairdressers,and we never check what level of skill that hairdresser has who is doing our hair.Gemini54
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi Jacquie there have been a number of similar instances posted on here over the years. I guess the moral is check out your groomer before entrusting your dog to them.