View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys, can I also just post a reminder to ask that we keep the posts on topic and non personal. Thanks!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi Susan

I have read post #79, and IMO it is still not a valid case to use pain in the name of training.

Your post boils down to this for me; You teach a dog a command 'nicely', and a few times. Then your frame of mind changes drastically, where you think, right, I have taught you with some kindness and I expect you to know it by now, so if you disobey me I WILL hurt you.

Perhaps you are not familiar with mental abuse - but that is exactly what you are doing.

Anyone who willingly inflicts pain and suffering on an animal is not only not a dog lover, but actually a dog abuser. In my country it is illegal to abuse dogs with electric shock collars - I just hope other countries catch up soon.

If you really do love dogs, I hope you will start to put the time and effort in to train dogs with love and kindness, and not take the quick fix by mentally and physically abusing them with electric shocks.
This is how I feel about it, I have tried to ask questions in order to see it from your side but at the end of the day this is how I feel.

I have one dog who lights up when you give him a command because he has never been hurt so for him training means fun and one dog who, used to, completely shut down when asked to do something because for him humans telling him things resulted in a beating.

I talk about how a Malcolm is but by far the saddest sight I have cared for was my Bob. He was the best dog, great off lead, spot on recall, beautiful off lead heel. Loyal as anything. I tried to actively teach him things like down and some agility work but he'd been beaten so badly in his life all he was capable of doing was sitting and raising his paw while looking absolutely terrified. The look of relief when you stopped trying to ask things of him was astonishing.

For me the use of an e-collar is just as bad as the horrible people that beat my boys. The mental scaring followed Bob around right to the end of his life but at least he could trust me, I'm thankful he found that.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi Guys, can I also just post a reminder to ask that we keep the posts on topic and non personal. Thanks!
Glad you've put this on, Azz, as it does stifle discussion.

Like it or not, these things exist and burying heads in the sand doesn't alter that.

My own opinion is that a forum either bans its discussion, or allows discussion without ridicule and personal attack.

I'd go with the latter, but, again, that's just my opinion
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
....I would never automatically assume that all of you are know-nothing idiot animal abusers, despite what I have seen with my own eyes.I can only infer, based on some of the responses to my posts, that many of the posters are unable/unwilling to extend that same courtesy to me. Their reasons remain obscure, as they do not seem willing to share their experiences with me.
The reasons have been explained to you Firstlight, so they are not obscure.

Wys
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by JulieSS View Post
I don't think you are an idiot (referring to your last bit in post 79), I just disagree that e-collar is a correction that gives the dog a choice, I see it as punishment and a threat and I can't picture any dog who wouldn't think of it as punishment .

I would agree with this, there is no way that ecollar training is ever a choice and I don't understand how anyone can say so, because clearly if the dog does not obey they get shocked more until they do as required.

It is absolutely a punishment, in OC terms PP or PP/-R depending on how it is used.

Wys
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by joto View Post
Where I live I would be breaking the law if I used an e-collar, I wish the rest of the UK would catch up [and the rest of the world.]

I fervently hope the rest of the UK and the world does catch up...

Wys
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I would agree with this, there is no way that ecollar training is ever a choice and I don't understand how anyone can say so, because clearly if the dog does not obey they get shocked more until they do as required.

It is absolutely a punishment, in OC terms PP or PP/-R depending on how it is used.

Wys
Wholeheartedly agree!

There is 'choice' involved in on the part of the trainer who chooses whether or not to press the button.

The dog can choose whether to endure the pain or switch it off. To be honest, I don't see that as conscious thought on the part of the dog, rather a compulsion.

All animals will avoid pain if at all possible and a few repetitions of receiving it would no doubt lead to an association of when it will likely be administered. However, the dog won't make the association of comply with 'all' commands or receive pain, but will have to have the association made on each command the trainer wants associated with it.

Firstlight, which commands do you use the shock collar for? I'm guessing it's not all of them but the ones you feel are important for your sport
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 04:40 PM
I have never witnessed a shock collar being used, nor would I like to. The reasons have all been explained very clearly on this thread already.
What I find really sad is if this method is being used to win or do well at a sport. Surely the reason to compete with a dog is for both to have fun and enjoy it. A valuable asset is a sense of humour when the dog goes wrong. IMO if a dog gets it wrong in competition, it's usually the handler's fault.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Anyone who has had an EMG [Electromyography] test knows how painful it can be, and they are warned beforehand about that fact.

I should imagine that giving a dog an unexpected shock is probably even more painful, especially as the nerves in the neck are far more sensitive than those in a human's arms or legs.

That is not "correction". It is punishment and utter cruelty.
Exactly Malka, I had EMGs done on both hands & on elbow my eyes were streaming afterwards & the pain was awful & yes I did know the pain was coming, but not how much.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I can preempt your reply to save you a little time.

The dog who barked then bit after the shock associated the shock with the person at the fence.

The dog who wouldn't go back into the garden associated the shock with the environment

One major point to consider is that this is how the tool is used, whether you agree with it or not, by the majority of those owners who are either at the end of their tether or who want a quick fix.

Of course it's possible to avoid such associations, but even the most carefully introduced and applied physical aversive of any kind can result in such an effect.

I'm sure a lot have seen the dog who ducks every time the owner lifts an arm, not because it's been hit, but because a rattle bottle or squirt bottle has been used.

There are also the dogs who lean out away from the owner who has watched Caeser Millan and have adopted the 'pst, prod' as a way to control

You can create a situation where there is less chance of it happening, but you can't eliminate the possibility.

I abhor the deliberate use of physical correction in dog training. There's simply no need for it (and out of consideration for our sentient companions this is high on the agenda of why not to use them) and the fall-out can be unexpected and make matters far worse rather than better
You got it Brierley, now fess up, how did you know why the dogs reacted as they did?

Both of your examples illustrate the use of shock by ignorant owners as punishment, i.e., the owners meant to stop a behavior; as explained in my previous posts, no one, including me, uses the collar this way if they know what they are doing. These examples illustrate why things like bark collars and electronic fences a really bad idea. I have seen exactly the responses you describe from the use of both bark and fence collars, which are not trainers. I have worked with dogs which had severe problems resulting from the use of the fence, and neither owner had a clue as to why their dogs had a problem. One of them gave me her interpretation of her dog's behavior that was so far off base that I would have laughed if the situation hadn't been so damn tragic.

I also had a fence retailer call and threaten me with a lawsuit, not because I was strongly recommending people not use them, but because I was using the retailer's
trade name (which everyone and his second cousin did, by the way).[/B] I had had a really "interesting" conversation with one of their sales reps a few years prior when they were offering a referral fee to pros who sent buyers to them, and if I hadn't been anti-fence before that, I sure would have been afterwards. These people knew nothing about training, and could have cared less about the damage they were doing; it was all about the money.

Right on about many of the people who use collars, as I posted previously. People don't want to be bothered with doing things the right way, too slow and time-consuming; much easier to just push the magic button, and consequences be damned.

Yes, I have seen plenty of responses to actions such as raised arms, etc., and reactions to same that were much more severe. I have already given my opinion of CM. There seems to be a cult mentality that develops around folks like and Parelli; strange, isn't it? Maybe we detractors are just jealous, if only we were that good at self-promotion we could get rich too!

Re: the use of aversives, here is my take on it: I see a lot of damage done by people who are ignorant of dog behavior, and who insist on treating dogs like little hairy people (and are invariably disappointed when the dogs fail to act like little hairy people!). One of the biggest misconceptions folks have is that their dogs "love" them, and if they just love the dog back all will be well. Dogs don't "love", they bond and respect.

I wonder how many of you who are anti-aversive have had the opportunity to observe, daily, a litter of pups from birth on. IME, most pups receive aversives as they are trained by the adults within the litter. This training is nature's way of ensuring harmony and stability within the pack, and the pup which cannot learn to live within the rules will not survive within the unit, because it is a disruptive force. I have always allowed my pups to interact with my males, all of which have been excellent trainers. I once had a 3 month old make the egregious error of biting my 110lb. male in the scrotum; his response was instant and awe-inspiring, and you would have sworn the pup was being gutted given all the roaring and screaming and thrashing around. I had a friend here who was on the verge of a nervous breakdown when she saw this, so I intervened before she stroked out. Thunder had the pup pinned on her back by her neck and was on top of her, roaring to beat the band I walked over and put my hand on his back and said very calmly and quietly, "Thunder, leave it", and he turned turned the aggression display off like a faucet; he looked up at me with a very pleasant expression ("Oh, hi Mom"), I said "C'mon, lets go" and he happily followed me into the house.

Now, this particular pup had been pushing the envelope with the male for two weeks (a natural part of development), and the male had warned her several times to knock it off. She continued to escalate her rudeness to the level that provoked the male's final response; I watched the process, and was not at all surprised/dismayed at it's conclusion. Was that an appropriate response on the male's part? It certainly was from his viewpoint; the message he conveyed was, "Don't you ever even think about putting your teeth on me again!!!". Was the pup put in fear for her very life? You betcha, she bolted under the deck when released, and I did not see her (or her two littermates which were not involved in the infraction but had bolted to the deck as soon as the ruckus started, "Grandpa's mad, we're outta here") again for two hours. Did the errant pup ever repeat the sin? Not only NO, but HELL NO. Did any of the pups involved suffer any PTSD or physical injury? No, there was not a mark on the offender (ie., the male inhibited the bite, thus heeding the inborn prohibition against injuring the other members of your pack), and the only behavioral change I saw was a monumental increase in respect, and in the pups' desire to control their mouths. When I turned them all out together the next day, all three pups immediately went to the male and offered the him a submission display, he rewarded them with reassuring attention, and all was copacetic.

I also observed two other similar instances, two different males and pups; one male roared and snatched an 8 week old pup up off the floor when she dove into his food dish ("MINE kid, get lost; if I don't get to eat, you will ultimately be minus your pack leader" ), and the other incident involved a youngster which tried to appropriate a bumper the male had just retrieved. As the pup approached, the male dropped his head and locked up over the bumper, made hard eye contact with the pup and gave a warning growl. The pup ignored the threat display and kept coming, and when he reached for the bumper, the male roared and squashed him flat ( "Possession is nine points kid, go away"). Both incidents had the same result as the first one I described.

Have to do chores and eat lunch and go to work etc. I will post the conclusions I drew from these incidents later on.
Page 13 of 36 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »