Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Getting it quicker?

Louie is starting to frustrate me, when I first started training sit to a whistle, I started with him next to me (long pip, lure into a sit, click and treat) and he picked it up really quickly. I then moved on (probably too quickly) to making him sit as he came towards me - again he did well. Then I started practising other places and he needed reminding what the whistle meant (but he did stop).

Now however I am finding myself having to remind him what it means all over. And I have gone back to basics but his sit isn't as quick as I want it - even when it isn't to a whistle.

Also we're back to recall training, he takes his time coming back which is annoying me and sometimes he'll get within feet of me and I'm doing my "whadda good boy!" and holding treats out for him and he'll just sniff the ground and ignore me... I have started whistling and then walking away; rewarding him when he is just behind me, whilst still walking backwards and bringing him in to me.. but again I want it quicker. I would love to reward only the quickest recalls but when he's coming in full speed is often the recalls where he'll veer off and sniff within the last few feet..

Basically - how do I get him to sit/recall quicker without making it tediously boring? Is there a game we could play..

I've been racking my brains - I know how to teach them but I am finding it difficult to get them quicker..