Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AndrewDCFC
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Is this an unhealthy meal for my dog?

My dog is a terrier mix, about 7.5kg and gets about 1 1/2 hour walk a day. Rest of exercise is doing a lot of walking about house, playing tug of war, running up and down stairs.

Is sandwich meat ok to add to his james wellbeloved kibble? I'm not sure if Im describing correctly as sandwich meat, but what Im talking about is slices of roast chicken or beef or turkey that you buy in those resealable plastic packets. I cut the meat up into smaller pieces then mix it into his kibble. Started doing this about two days ago. Does anyone know if this healthy or not, or how often doing it would make it unhealthy?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Do you mean sliced meat for humans - sliced for putting in sandwiches? If so, I can`t see anything wrong with it as an additive. I put a spoonful a Butchers Premium Dogfood in with my dogs` kibble to give it added scent and flavour.
AndrewDCFC
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes thats what Im talking about. I posted this same question on yahoo answers and got a reply saying that it would make my dog fat and all the sodium and preservatives in it would not be healthy. But surely feeding this meat is better than the stuff that goes into even the better quality wet foods. Hopefully I can get some more opinions here to make sure I know what im doing. Thanks for the reply.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd prefer to add something like tuna/mackrel/sardines from a tin, as those meats do contain a lot of rubbish, and fish is good for dogs - for joints/coat etc
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I would be worried about the amount of salt in the prepacked meats... how about if you cook a joint of meat putting a few offcuts of those in or like Hevvur said a tin of fish in either oil or water, not brine
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Doesn`t it depend how much we`re talking about? A thin slice of ham isn`t going to affect a large dog. It seems rather an expensive additive though. Our butcher sells sliced meats with no preservatives & salt - he just cooks them and slices them. So you can get cooked meats that are healthier.
You can add all sort BTW - cottage cheese, baked beans, mince etc. It`s only a flavouring to encourage the dog to eat isn`t it?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
i would check the salt content, some of the cheaper meats may have additional salt. why not sardine or tuna??
ATD x
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Would it not be preferable to get a balanced dog feed that the dog likes?

I believe feeding 'additives' to kibble is a very bad idea as a matter of routine. Likewise, feeding kibble and raw is very bad as they metabolise at very different rates causing all sorts of problems.

Occasionally I will add some sardines or leftovers but do not add anything as routine, this unbalances complete feeds.

I do know of people who had fed extra tinned food to kibble, and lost their dogs prematurely which was attributed to this very practice.

I will have to go and dig out some info and resources, my research has led me to believe that 'extra' meat to kibble is a very bad idea, whether it be cooked, fresh or tinned.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
I do know of people who had fed extra tinned food to kibble, and lost their dogs prematurely which was attributed to this very practice.
How was that proven?
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Would it not be preferable to get a balanced dog feed that the dog likes?

I believe feeding 'additives' to kibble is a very bad idea as a matter of routine. Likewise, feeding kibble and raw is very bad as they metabolise at very different rates causing all sorts of problems.

Occasionally I will add some sardines or leftovers but do not add anything as routine, this unbalances complete feeds.

I will have to go and dig out some info and resources, my research has led me to believe that 'extra' meat to kibble is a very bad idea, whether it be cooked, fresh or tinned.
JWB and Burns now recommend adding wet to their premium kibble. Where is the evidence for your assertion please?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >