Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Double dose of Frontline - safe?

Hi,

I manage blocks of flats and on Tuesday, I went to inspect a recently vacated one and the tenant had lived there with two cats. Me and my colleague got pounced on by fleas and I have unfortunately brought some of the little ******s home with me. I Frontlined both my dogs that night but the next day, my daughter took one of the dogs for a walk and let her go in a pond and then hosed her down when she got back, the Frontline had been on for about 12 hours and she is occassionally stratching and biting. Should I give her another dose of Frontline and is it safe to do so?

Thanks

xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I'd ring the vet and ask them quite honestly I would have thought though, that the 12 hours will be ok (i.e. your dog is still covered with that first dose), coz the dogs are allowed to be bathed and go in water after a certain period of time, when it's dried (the area you put it on I mean). These flea treatments can be quite potent, so I wouldn't want to risk it personally, but maybe a vet would know? Good luck.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:28 AM
It has to be 7 days until the next dose regardless of whether they got wet or not. Also it has to be 48 hours before they can go into water and not have to re-apply.002:
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't risk it without vet advice. I don't use Frontline but I know with Ivermectin (flea treatment used for small animals), you can overdose it and it can have some very nasty, even fatal side effects, such as paralasys. It's effectively a poison so too much is dangerous.
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all your advice everyone, I will give the vets a ring xx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I wouldn't risk it without vet advice. I don't use Frontline but I know with Ivermectin (flea treatment used for small animals), you can overdose it and it can have some very nasty, even fatal side effects, such as paralasys. It's effectively a poison so too much is dangerous.
fipronil(frontline is non-systemic and is comletely different to ivermectin.

if your dog has had a swim and been hosed down within 48 hours it should be re applied
mind u it would be no biggie if you waited a few days either
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Cat fleas will hide in your carpet, so I`d recommend doing the house with a spray as well. You could use a flea comb on your dogs instead?