View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Human shampoo/conditioner 4my dogs..is this ok???

Hi Everyone...
I have a yorkie and a staffie, id like to ask your opinions on bathing.
Is it harmfull for my dog [either dog] if i used our shampoo on them? is baby shampoo ok? i have always used my conditioner especially on honey my yorkie, am i doing wrong? id just like to say honeys hair is normal id say, no skin problams, ect.. As for tia ive yet to give her her first bath, i just applied that frontline spot on flea/tic preventative stuff [very expensive lol, for 3 tiny applications for small dogs it was just under £30] anyway i cant bath either them for couple days anyway but each dogs coat is different, so am i doing damage if i use human shampoo or baby shampoo or just the human conditioner on honey? same for tia?
I know there lots dog shampoos out there but if im honest ive 7/10 times used human shapoo and conditioner, ive never had problams like irratated skin ect..
thanks xxx
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 10:49 PM
i use it on my dogs and to be honest i have NEVER had a reaction from them with it,i use palmolive aloe vera and bay shampoo,and not once had a problem ,like scruvy skin,or reactions,the only shampoo ive had reactions with a dog shampoos made them all scratch,so i stick to what i do and have no problems,what i do,do is stick a wad of cotton wool in the ears so it dont go down them and then bath them,they love the shower, if its not broke dont fix,and how come we aint seen you on ward 6 in the chat room xxzbxx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 10:54 PM
i did read somewhere that human shampoo has the wrong PH levels for a dogs hair
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Mine get bathed in whatever comes to hand (usually pantene ) but they dont get bathed often perhaps once a year and maybe a blast on their legs if they've been in mud...

You shouldnt really need to bath them often a good brushing everyday should suffice to keep their coat glossy and tangle free...
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 04:52 AM
frequently bathing your dog in human shampoo will cause dry skin and brittle damaged fur. Human shampoo is much harsher than dog shampoo and more acidic. Your best bet is to find a nice soap free dog shampoo. Soap free shampoos are non-drying (and won't wash off the frontline) so they are the gentlest for frequent baths.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 06:00 AM
I always use dog shampoo. Never had any problems.
My lot haven't had a bath for 2 years.........
I don't actually have a bath, and can't get both me and the dog in the shower so it would have to be a grooming parlour for them.
I saw on American Chopper (USA programme on Sky) that there are "dog wash" places, like car wash places. It looked just great. They basically supply the place to bath your dog. I wish they had them here......
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

12-09-2007, 08:05 AM
I have a friend who is a vet and he told me years ago never to use human shampoo on a dog because the ph Balance is different.

If you ran outo f dog shampoo I don't suppose that to use human shampoo in an emergency would do any harm, but I would not use it in the long term.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 08:12 AM
I know some show people that use head and shoulders on the odd occassion, I personally use dog shampoo, and prefer that, although for some reason it dosnt lather up much,

Mo
Vase
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I normally use dog flea shampoo and then use Tresseme or Biogroom to condition his coat. I leave the conditioner in and use a coat stripping product every 4-5th bath to remove any grooming sprays or products. Rogue gets bathed every week.

Rogues breeder has been using human shampoo for over 30 years without any problems. I think it can depend on too many things to make a 'rule' about it.

Rule is probably the wrong word but hopefully you get what I mean
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I was told not to use hair shampoo either as it can harm thier skin. If you have to use it, I was told to use Johnsons shampoo as it's kinder.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »