View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2005, 04:38 PM

What's the difference between dog shampoo & human shampoo?

I was just wondering!
Is there a difference, like with dog chocolate?!
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I think there is something in human shampoo that washes out the natural oils in the dogs fur.Hope this has helped
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 05:29 PM
The Ph is different in them There are some breeds like Lhasas that have the same Ph as human hair, but most breeds don't have.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Do they have an ingredients list on them? Have a look & compare, I`d be interested to know but only have herbal dog shampoo so can`t
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 03:29 PM
not really sure to be honest , but when i left school (seems a century ago )i worked for a while in a local kennels and poodle parlour, where would you belive the dogs were shampooed with TIDE washing powder seems incredable now but for myself i always use johnsons baby shampoo (n more tears ) on gemma and touch wood she's had no probs .
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Not sure but I'm still using baby shampoo on my dog
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2005, 10:11 PM
It really is best to use a dog shampoo on dogs, they have a different skin PH to humans and using the wrong shampoo can dry the skin and make the coat dull. A dogs skin PH is about 7.2 to 7.4 and human is 5.0 to 5.4, also a dogs sebacious glands are nearer to the surface of the skin than humans and can become clogged with unsuitable shampoos.
A dogs coat contains oils that make it semi water repellant, when you bath a dog you should just be removeing excess sebum and dirt and should not remove all the protective oils, some human shampoos are very harsh and will remove much of the natural oil .
Tara_G
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Is a rabbit/guinea pig shampoo ok to use? I haven't got round to buying a dog shampoo yet but Ellie went nextdoor yesterday to play with their dogs and had great fun rolling in the mud with them and I had the rabbit shampoo to hand as I use it on my rats, so used it on her. It's made her coat lovely and shiny and soft, the shampoo isn't fragranced or coloured and is supposed to be very gentle, doesn't strip the coat or leave any residue behind.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
It really is best to use a dog shampoo on dogs, they have a different skin PH to humans and using the wrong shampoo can dry the skin and make the coat dull. A dogs skin PH is about 7.2 to 7.4 and human is 5.0 to 5.4, also a dogs sebacious glands are nearer to the surface of the skin than humans and can become clogged with unsuitable shampoos.
A dogs coat contains oils that make it semi water repellant, when you bath a dog you should just be removeing excess sebum and dirt and should not remove all the protective oils, some human shampoos are very harsh and will remove much of the natural oil .
Wow! No wonder you're a 'gold supporter'! You know loads about dogs!
Will definitely stick to proper doggie shampoo cos Gadget's got such a shiny soft coat, I wouldn't want to ruin it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >