Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-05-2015, 07:51 AM

Sick Whippet

Hi all, I have a 13 month old whippet bitch who came in season on 1 March this year, last Monday she was not herself and very quite through the day she got worse she left her breakfast and was sick a small amount, next day she ate some breeki and some tea she seemed very miserable wendsey
She was the same so I booked an appointment on Thursday at vets, the vet said she had a little soreness in her back,
Her temp was up just a tad she gave her a injection of meta am and one of vetergesic and said she would do blood test next day if no better for pancatic lipase test,
She got worse in day and I asked vet if she would do it that day , She did and it was all negative, that night she seemed worse to me just stood with her back up and whimpering, I rang an emergency vet who examined her all over and he said there was nothing to concern him, next day Friday back to vet and she was concerned she was not drinking decided to keep her on a drip for fluids and wanted to ex Ray her tummy for build up of any gas also do ultrasound on her uterus both were ok,
I got her back at night and she was again perky for a short time but then back to being very quite she again had Metacam and now synulux, took her back sat and temp up just a tad and given a course of meta cam and synulux,
She is eating small amounts of boiled chicken and scrambled egg, but just wants to sleep and looks depressed , please help
Thanks John
Ps she has always been fed on wainwright puppy since I got her at 12 weeks old, normally she is very boisterous
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2015, 07:55 AM
If she were mine I would ask the vet about a suspect pyometra. Don't want to worry you but better safe than sorry.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Hi Brenda, I do think she has had a test for that, Is it something to do with the uterus??
Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Hello John nice to see you again

With her season being recent my inital thought would be pyometra (a uterine infection which starts when bacteria get access to a fertile growing medium during a season) . There are two types 'open' and 'closed' which may or may not have symptoms, but it seems your vet has tested for that.

The symptoms you describe can be indicative of pain, it can cause vomiting/hunching the back/depression. If the back is tender I could be a spinal problem.

The reason she was 'perky' when you got her back may have been due to an adrenaline rush of pleasure at seeing you and home again but that would wear off pretty quickly if she is in pain.

As the vet has already done a number of tests and prescribed pain killers I would see how it goes over the next couple of days .

I would keep her quiet, let her sleep if she wants to, (sleep can help with healing while the body is motionless) also keep her nice and warm . If she is eating a little that is good and chicken is ok. Drinking is important and I would put her water bowl next to her bed for easy access.

If she seems worse or you are concerned I would not hesitate to contact the vet.

If there is no improvement in a couple of days I would request more tests.

I do hope things improve soon...
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Meg, thank you for your detailed advice, she does lick her back end after having a wee but she has always done this,
It is hard getting her to drink, could I not Strindge a little into her mouth ?, she does hunch her bach up and looks depressed,
My son just came and she went mad when seeing him as she always do, any advice will be welcome Meg,
Regards John.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Please what is the treatment for the two types of Pyrometra
(OPEN/ CLOSED)
Thanks
Meg
Supervisor

03-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by johnboy999 View Post
Please what is the treatment for the two types of Pyrometra
(OPEN/ CLOSED)
Thanks
Hi John it is antibiotics and the removal of the uterus which becomes infected and full of nasty puss.

Re the water you could try adding a tiny bit of honey to warm water to see if she will drink that.

Pyometra usually causes an increased thirst and often a discharge.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your help Meg, she has not got an increased thirst and there is no discharge.
This is driving me up the wall as the emergency vet said there was nothing to concern him, and my own vet just did not know what is the problem that is why I told her to do all the tests nessesary to find the problem I forgot to mention to you that last Sunday my older whippet ran into her as she came back limping, I told the vet this so she has been working at looking at back injury, blockage in tummy and Pyrometra,
Could she have an opp at this stage to remove whatever is causing the prob if it is Pyrometra, the vet is away until wensday, so I may have to go to emergency vet .
Thank you.
Meg
Supervisor

03-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by johnboy999 View Post
Thanks for your help Meg, she has not got an increased thirst and there is no discharge.
This is driving me up the wall as the emergency vet said there was nothing to concern him, and my own vet just did not know what is the problem that is why I told her to do all the tests nessesary to find the problem I forgot to mention to you that last Sunday my older whippet ran into her as she came back limping, I told the vet this so she has been working at looking at back injury, blockage in tummy and Pyrometra,
Could she have an opp at this stage to remove whatever is causing the prob if it is Pyrometra, the vet is away until wensday, so I may have to go to emergency vet .
Thank you.
John I think your vet has ruled out pyometra, if she had had it since Monday I would expect her to be very much worse by now if here at all, dogs with this go down hill rapidly, it causes septicemia.I have lost bitches over the years with pyometra .

I would guess the culprit could be the collision between the two dogs, I would see how it goes as suggested above.
johnboy999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Meg thanks, God I do hope you are right she is taking chicken now all the time I am offering her it ,
Thank you and I will keep you informed on things.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >