Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Safe rooms for multiple fostered/adopted dogs

Hi, I hope this is the right section - I don't want to overshadow appeals for dogs in rescue etc, but my question is about rescue!

I was wondering how people who already have dogs and who have fostered or adopted other rescue dogs manage their living space? Do you have a separate room in which you can isolate the new dog if things get too stressful? I have taken on a rescue before but had the luxury of many visits with my existing dog to check they got on, and it was never an issue in the house. But I'm wondering if I was just really lucky. My house is kind of open-plan and the dogs are allowed in all rooms, and sleep in the bedroom at night. (I put my rescue dog outside the bedroom separated by a child gate when she first came, as I didn't want a dog I didn't know well jumping on my head in bed, but otherwise she just mucked in with the rest of us). I'd like to get another rescue dog in the future and we are discussing maybe adding a conservatory off the back of the kitchen which could be used as a safe space for a new dog if necessary. Do people who are experienced in fostering/adopting recommend having such a space? Is it a life saver? And would a dog go bananas in a conservatory where they could see out (back garden only, no passing cars or people) or do they like looking out?!

I'd be interested in your experiences.

Thanks.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 12:16 AM
If I was re-homing an adult dog I would definatley have a safe space for them initially.

I've only re-homed puppies as when I got them I was in foster carer and one of their rules was that if I got a dog it had to be less than 6 months old, their reasoning was that you never really know what's happened to older dogs and all the tests they do in a shelter are not the same as when a dog has had years to settle and I was looking after kids some with horrendous dog manners

All 3 of mine now live happily together and 'touch wood' I've never had an issue with them but when I got my last pup she was so full on she had lots of time outs in a cage, mainly to give my others a break Kiara spent 2 months growling and grumbling at the pup and as it was just noise I left her to get on with it, she taught my pup all about personal space and dinner time etiquette so much better than I could have, I must say though there was never any violence just noise and the odd obvious warning snarl when the pup just wouldn't listen, it was at this point I stepped in and crated her, they have all learnt how much each can take and know the lines that must not be crossed and all respect those lines.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Thanks for your reply, that's useful. With new pups I do have a crate but of course a rescue may not be crate trained. I'm sure if we had the extra space it would be useful anyway, so better start saving!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by greatbarnet View Post
Hi, I hope this is the right section - I don't want to overshadow appeals for dogs in rescue etc, but my question is about rescue!

I was wondering how people who already have dogs and who have fostered or adopted other rescue dogs manage their living space? Do you have a separate room in which you can isolate the new dog if things get too stressful? I have taken on a rescue before but had the luxury of many visits with my existing dog to check they got on, and it was never an issue in the house. But I'm wondering if I was just really lucky. My house is kind of open-plan and the dogs are allowed in all rooms, and sleep in the bedroom at night. (I put my rescue dog outside the bedroom separated by a child gate when she first came, as I didn't want a dog I didn't know well jumping on my head in bed, but otherwise she just mucked in with the rest of us). I'd like to get another rescue dog in the future and we are discussing maybe adding a conservatory off the back of the kitchen which could be used as a safe space for a new dog if necessary. Do people who are experienced in fostering/adopting recommend having such a space? Is it a life saver? And would a dog go bananas in a conservatory where they could see out (back garden only, no passing cars or people) or do they like looking out?!

I'd be interested in your experiences.

Thanks.
Hi When I fostered some years ago,the dogs were looking for peace,they had been in a kennel situation and some dogs do not do well in that situation,so my first thought was to make a safe haven for them.it was usually a cage,with blankets over it,usually in the utility room,it was somewhere they could bolt to,but gradually they needed that less and less,but in the early days taking these frail individuals out for walks,where all they wanted to do is bolt,was a nightmare,I knew another fosterer she took in the old ones,and she had an old fashioned pram,itworked for her,but most of them were terriers.So to give them a nice experience,used to get up as soonas it was daylight,take them toa meadow rabbits,and just sniffing and being out was a tonic to us both.I would like to think that in some way I had mended some of the damage done.crystalgirl