View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
My collies dont have prey drive. They have no interest in "hunting", chasing rabbits or squiirels etc

They have been TAUGHT "play drive" which comes more naturally to some than others. They enjoy to play (that is not drive) & ive increased this want. so that i can use it.
I dont do much ball throwing, prefer tuggy.
I want the dog to be having fun "with me" ( Tuggy) not running away from me (fetch).

Natural working drive/focas /want is something else. For example, a husky could have tons of prey drive, but could also have (or not) drive for work. I presume these with most drive are the lead dogs (but stand to be corrected there)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I dont do much ball throwing, prefer tuggy.
I want the dog to be having fun "with me" ( Tuggy) not running away from me (fetch).
tugging (biting) is a fundamental of prey drive, ones of the earliest expressions of puppyhood.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I wouldnt say ball drive is the same as prey drive.

Throw a ball for Jed and he'll look at me like i'm from another planet. Show him a squirrel or a rabbit and he's gone, totally taken over by the drive to chase it and kill it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I wouldnt say ball drive is the same as prey drive.

Throw a ball for Jed and he'll look at me like i'm from another planet. Show him a squirrel or a rabbit and he's gone, totally taken over by the drive to chase it and kill it.
what about if you throw the rabbit!!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 06:46 PM
what about if you throw the rabbit!!!!
If it was alive, yes, if it was dead he wouldnt be interested!
I have rabbit pelts and wings from various birds which I sometimes use to train Flynn. Jed isnt interested in those because he knows they're dead and a tad boring.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:01 PM
No i shouldnt think so, too scatty. & not drivey in that way, but then shes not bred fot thaT

Shes a collie - tis the only instinct you will pass on. Interestingly someone (very involved in Collies) once said to me, you can breed Ob/Ag Ch to each other till the cows come home, but it is not instinct. That is what you get from training, the only instinct you get from breeding a BC is Herding. I don't know how true this is. But IME Ob/Ag etc comes from training.

With mav, bloody good training! Id still like him stronger
its on going. mainley work on his drive in short bursts, he could never do a hour HW training, where as zo gets better the more she does.

Yep - Siren is like this.

His training is a mix of Op conditioning, food reward, play reward, bit of hands on-bit of hands off, bit of stupidity, & lead use
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I def disagree with that, lol!
Theyve obvisley never trained a ob bred dog!

**** to add , i dont think its instinct, so much , but a pre disposition & attitude & conformation
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I def disagree with that, lol!
Theyve obvisley never trained a ob bred dog!

**** to add , i dont think its instinct, so much , but a pre disposition & attitude & conformation
!!!

You don't know who I is talking about

I would agree though....I think this is down to training. Obedience people sell to obedience homes, agility people to agility homes, the more well known the dog - the more well known people are going to want a pup, hence training from word go etc.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Oh roy then!!!!!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
If for instance i throw a ball with the ball chucker - which will go a good distance & at the same time a rabbit breaks cover, what does it say about the dog that chases the ball & not the rabbit

My GSP who is an HPR from working stock would go after his ball....every time. I hooked him on toys at an early age and he will recall from deer, rabbits, sheep, birds to a whistle because he knows his ball will be the reward. In the absence of a ball, a plastic bottle will do.

It makes him very, very, easy to manage.
Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >