View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beccigreatorex
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2009, 10:17 PM

How do i stop my dog peeing during the night?

I have a 1 year old pomeranian, she comes to work with me everyday and knows to go outside to pee, she knows to go to the back door at home to go out but during the night she always tends to pee. please help me with this i have tried everything from going back to basics to getting up during the night to take her out, it is driving me mad.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 10:59 PM
What time do you pick her water up and how long is she left for at night?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 11:04 PM
is she with you all day? if she always gets to pee on demand she might just not be able to hold it
where does she sleep? a crate or small enclosed bed might help as she wont want to mess her bed, but you would have to have her in earshot incase she needs out
v small bladder and still a young dog, i would go with taking her out in the middle of the night slightly later each night till she can hold it

of course assuming you have had a vets check to make sure nothing is wrong
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi Becci how long has this been happening, is it a new thing. is she spayed or due a second season.
Do you make sure she is 'empty' when you go to bed, rather than letting her go out alone you really need to go with her to make sure she goes.

I would not be tempted to restrict her access to water in any way , doing so tends to concentrate the urine and this can aggravate the bladder making a dog want to go out more not less .

If all is well medically and it is a habit she has got into,I would do as Ben Mcfuzzylugs suggests and have her with me for a while in a small crate/box next to the bed and take her out when she asks to go out , no fuss or playing in and out .
If you do this for a few days make a note of the time she asks to go out and see if she has started going at a regular time. Assuming she normally sleeps in the kitchen you can then try returning her to the kitchen and set your alarm clock for the time she normally goes and take her out. Next add a few minuets every few nights to the time you go to take her out and you should with patience be able to break the habit and train her to go through the night

Can I also ask what you feed and when, does she seem to drink a lot . If she is fed on a complete food and fed quite late she may be drinking large amounts to hydrate the food so altering her last meal time to a little earlier in the day may help.
beccigreatorex
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2009, 09:22 PM
thanks for the advice. she eats JWB 2 small meals per day 7am and 5.30pm she doesnt drink excessively but i do leave her water down during the night.

i let her out just before we go to bed around 10.30-11pm an i watch her to make sure she goes. she sleeps on our bed and this is a habit i wont break. i will try letting her out halfway through the night to see if this helps break the habit.

fingers crossed
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Have you tried taking her for a walk before bed so she can relieve herself there?