View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2009, 01:18 PM
All the other puppies weren't that bothered with each other, but he wanted to meet n greet them all. Though in his defence he was the only one there for the first time.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
All the other puppies weren't that bothered with each other, but he wanted to meet n greet them all. Though in his defence he was the only one there for the first time.
you may find he will calm down as the weeks go by, most do, if he doesnt then the trainer should be able to find a way to channel all that enthusiasim for you
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 01:42 PM
You should do some research on clicker training. I find that it REALLY focuses a dog on you. I am using clicker training with my fear aggressive boy. It really gets him paying attention to me, and not to what he's afraid of. It's a great, positive way to get him looking at me. Basically, you would click then treat everytime he looks at you, constantly. you start at home where he's not distracted, put his leash on, then click then treat everytime he looks at you for about 5 mins. do this a few times at home, then move out to the yard (more distractions) 5 mins at a time. then after he's looking at you consistently, start with it in the park, or other distracting places. if he is too distracted at the park, go back to the yard, and do a few more 5 min sessions there. then back to the park. letting him tire out before you work on the training is best, take the 5 mins at the end of your walk. it wont take long at all and he'll be associating the click with the treat. and then the looking at you with the treat, that makes it very fun! use high value treats, to keep him interested, and dont feed him a meal just before classes, so he's somewhat hungry.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
All the puppies got on well but there was one wee shy cocker spaniel, who was let off lead whildt the rest were on so she could go and investigate, which she did.
That's good, very very good - sounds as if the trainer has good understanding of dogs.

Here is what you can look for in a good class:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/choosing_dog_trainer_uk.asp

Wys
x
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi,

Your pup is behaving perfectly naturally and should calm down over the next few weeks when he realises he has to work.

In the meantime, do you have any friends, family or neighbours who could walk their dogs with yours? This would at least get him used to being around other dogs a little bit. Also, make sure you walk him in areas where you know for sure other dogs will be. This way you can reinforce any "distraction training" - although he may be a little young yet I don't see why you can't start straight away.

I would recommend clicker training too. I started doing this with Yiannis when I had him at 3 months old from Birmingham Dogs' Home. It was one of very few ways he would even look at me to begin with. My older GSD has also taken to it. So if you start early (now) with it, it should be relatively easy for your dog to respond to clicker training.

As already stated, if he does something wrong don't shout or punish him. If a dog makes a mistake it's because they don't know what they should do; which usually means we haven't taught them!

The key factor is for both yourself and your pup to enjoy training. If there's a night when you think you don't feel like going then don't. That feeling will rub off and your pup won't work for you as well as usual.

Also, don't give him a meal before training classes. He needs to be alittle bit hungry to want the treats on offer and is more likely to work for you to get the treat if he's not had his dinner.Also, he's less likely to throw up or poop on the floor like loads of puppies at the club I used to go to.

Good luck and can we see some piccies please?

Laura xx
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Pepsi used to be like this. It was murder trying to get her to concentrate on treats and such. But then i realised that if she were out by herself and she seen another dog she would prob be away. The training classes teach your dog that they still need to come back to you no matter how interesting the dogs are. Once Pepsi got used to the idea that she had to behave even when other dogs were there, the rest was a piece of cake.

Good luck with training
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2009, 03:50 PM
We do walk where there are other dogs, but he just goes daft, there's no distracting him whatsoever.

When I take him to the park he gets off lead and plays with lots of other dogs, I love watching him play he just looks so happy, I feel sorry for him on lead, but he's just going to have to get used to the fact that he can't play all the time!

Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post

Good luck and can we see some piccies please?

Laura xx
Why of course:

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2