Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
I've been told that the protest is not just for the sunday, but for every day!
My daughter was meant to be going to show her min pin, it was to be the first time for her at crufts showing, but because of the risk from protesters and her owning such a little dog, i've told I do not want her to go! It's a shame because she's only 14 and has worked her lil butt off at ringcraft and at the shows and was so pleased when she qualified him for crufts, but to me its not worth the risk..
Besides theres plenty more years ahead for her to get to crufts, and another years showing and training is only going to improve her handling and confidence
I know you are concerned for your Daughter's safety, any parent would be but is there no way that she can be accompanied by several adults, to keep her from harm. I think it's such a shame if she's worked so hard, to have to give up Crufts this year just because of some idiots that obviously have nothing better to do with their time. I'm not criticising at all, as a parent, I know you will do anything to protect your child (natural instinct) - I just hate to see these bullies win - which is what is going to happen if decent people stay away from Crufts! The organisers of the event had better have their act together with regard security! Of course, it could be that your Daughter doesn't want to show in the circumstances because of trouble. That being the case, I would agree that it would be better left until another year when perhaps these fools have learned that bullying tactics is not the way forward!!! Must be so disappointing for your Daughter after her hard work
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I go to shows on my own and take two dogs, and I can't be in two places at once.

I never shop at Crufts its just a nightmare, I wouldn't even attempt to take the dogs with me, but I do sometimes like to see friends in different breeds, I will give that a miss this year.

I am taking padlocks and crate covers and a change of clothes which I normally do anyway, our ring is usually adjacent to the benches so I can see the bench most of the time.

Its a shame that a few misguided people are spoiling it for others, I am fully expecting that there will be some of these activists to be coming in as ordinary members of the public on days other than Sunday. If they truly cared about the dogs they wouldn't be putting them in a position where they could come to harm.
I was going to suggest crate covers too so no passer by could drop anything into the dog while it was crated, thats what I'd be doing if we were taking a dog. I'm pretty speechless about the whole situation really, imagine how fast we'd be rid of puppy farms etc if people directed their anger and protest at them instead of show people who in majority love their dogs immensley and only want to improve and protect their breeds future.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble,

Hmmmmm. I have to say, what comes first, the dog or the shoping??? I appreciate people need to pee and eat...and some people do go on their own but I'm sure they have friends around that can look after the dog for 5 minutes. I have to say though (not that I show) I wouldn't leave my dog on a bench whilst I went to shop...nor would I take my dog around
Whether you are paying a visit to the loo, getting something to eat of having a quick visit to the shops... all of these can take as long as the other... you can be in line for the loo/food for 1/2 hr.. the point is , at some point during the day, you will need to leave your dogs...

Most people will know those around them, as you are usually benched next to the same people at these shows.. people will look out for ech others dogs, givng them time to do what is needed.

But this yr, I feel people are going to be a little more paranoid over their dogs.. with good reason.

I've been told that the protest is not just for the sunday, but for every day!
My daughter was meant to be going to show her min pin, it was to be the first time for her at crufts showing, but because of the risk from protesters and her owning such a little dog, i've told I do not want her to go! It's a shame because she's only 14 and has worked her lil butt off at ringcraft and at the shows and was so pleased when she qualified him for crufts, but to me its not worth the risk..
Besides theres plenty more years ahead for her to get to crufts, and another years showing and training is only going to improve her handling and confidence

Its a shame you and she are goingt o miss something she has worked so hard for.

I am sure she will be fine, as long as she had adults with her.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Ya know its not so much being worried about my daughters dog getting hurt, It's more that I dont wish my daughter to see people acting the way these people are going to be!
And also i'd be more concerned about what my daughter might say to these protesters if she saw them trying to open peoples dogs cages etc.
Beth is actually taking not going to crufts very well, As toy day is Friday and she is still at school, and she knows her school work must take preferance to any dog show ( she has a wise head on her young shoulders, she must take after her dad, not me lol)
She's just made me promise i'll do the online entry things for her to enter welks and birmingham national?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Ya know its not so much being worried about my daughters dog getting hurt, It's more that I dont wish my daughter to see people acting the way these people are going to be!
And also i'd be more concerned about what my daughter might say to these protesters if she saw them trying to open peoples dogs cages etc.
Beth is actually taking not going to crufts very well, As toy day is Friday and she is still at school, and she knows her school work must take preferance to any dog show ( she has a wise head on her young shoulders, she must take after her dad, not me lol)
She's just made me promise i'll do the online entry things for her to enter welks and birmingham national?

Awww, that's good then. She sounds very sensible. Yes, you are right, hadn't thought of that angle, a teenager seeing/hearing what these morons might say/get up to! Such idiots. Spoiling the fun that many doggy people look forward to all year! Just hated to think that they had upset your Daughter by the decision not to go to Crufts. Good that she can look forward to other shows., where she can relax and enjoy the day, rather than wait for something to happen. I really hope that security is on the ball. Can't bear the thought of the dogs being frightened in any way
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I have been thinking about this, Now in my mind the Nec owns all the land and car parks round about it?

If so you may find the protesters can only get as far as the access roads?

Not right up to the doors?

It could be worth someone emailing the NEC and asking what they plan, they must know protests are being arranged, they may be more than willing to put peoples mind at ease x

email for the nec

info@necgroup.co.uk
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I've been thinking about this also...in the eyes of the law, dogs are classed as property? So if a demonstrator hurt or harmed a dog..could the owners then get the protesters arrested for criminal damage? If a protester hurts or harms an owner than surely that is assult/abh/gbh etc?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Isn't this all hearsay?
I have read on other forums that people have been in conatct with the original organisers of the demo (there was a link on Dogsey to a vegetarian group) and they have been assured that the demos will be peaceful.
I have no reason to doubt the word of those on the other forums.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Isn't this all hearsay?
I have read on other forums that people have been in conatct with the original organisers of the demo (there was a link on Dogsey to a vegetarian group) and they have been assured that the demos will be peaceful.
I have no reason to doubt the word of those on the other forums.
Now I never would of thought it but I think I love you!

The voice of reason. None of this has happened yet and its like chinese whispers! There are lots of peaceful protests going on all around the country - against circuses, my beef, etc etc and more power to them. Its about education IMO.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Now I never would of thought it but I think I love you!

The voice of reason. None of this has happened yet and its like chinese whispers! There are lots of peaceful protests going on all around the country - against circuses, my beef, etc etc and more power to them. Its about education IMO.
Now steady on....one minute we're sworn enemires...then we move to a friendship...you are moving waaaaaaaaaay too fast for me now!!!!

It is like Chinese Whispers though and that's dangerous.

I have only heard of peaceful protests.
Were they peaceful outside Westminster?
(That's a general question and not one for my new best buddy Spot! )
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >