Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2004, 02:23 PM

strange behaviour

When approaching strange dogs Star has started not to look at them. She walks towards them slowly with her head turned to the side not making eye contact. Once they have sniffed each other its off to play.

Does anyone know the reason for this?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Don't know the reason Caz, but it sounds to me she's avoiding confrontation.

Don't know if I'm right though!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

23-10-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure but it sounds like submissive behaviour? Showing shes not a threat to them - not sure tho Ca!
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah i think its cos she wants to avoid any hassle.Daisy does the same, but the rest of mine are full on in the other dogs faces!!rofl!!all still v friendly though!!
Carole
Supervisor

23-10-2004, 03:46 PM
thats what I thought, just showing other dogs shes not a threat to them.
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2004, 04:18 PM
I would agree , she is showing submission, which isnt a bad thing at all. Its better than the other way round.
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

24-10-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi Carole..... how old is star, you mentioned that this is has just started... can you think of a trigger.... dog's don't generally make up new behavious without cause.... The avoidance of eye contact is a submissive jesture... You need to build up her confidence again.... have a party when you see a new dog approaching.... ie.. singing, petting, bouncing around having fun.... she will soon realise its not all bad.....

Donna
Meg
Supervisor

24-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by kimbastaff
Hi Carole..... how old is star, you mentioned that this is has just started... can you think of a trigger.... dog's don't generally make up new behavious without cause.... The avoidance of eye contact is a submissive jesture... You need to build up her confidence again.... have a party when you see a new dog approaching.... ie.. singing, petting, bouncing around having fun.... she will soon realise its not all bad.....

Donna
yes..I agree with that and what the others say about avoidance of confrontation Star has lost a bit of confidence it would be a good idea to boost it with praise so that she does not become more fearful, also if you know of someone with a steady friendly dog playing together off lead would be good too
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

24-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Averting the gaze is normal behaviour for a dog that is anxious to avoid presenting a challenge. If she is showing no other overt signs of nervousness and is playing happily with the other dogs once introductions have been completed I doubt if there is anything to be concerned about. Trying to change this behaviour might make her more uncomfortable & edgy.

As it is a seemingly quite sudden behaviour change it would be interesting to know if you can recall any incident that may have precipitated it.
Carole
Supervisor

24-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Star is nearly 2 now. She shows no other sign of nervousness and is happy to run about and play. The dogs she knows there is not a problem its straight to play. Its just meeting a dog for the first time.

Its as if she has just changed approach, not long ago she would bound up to dogs boxer style and usually end up with a warning from the other dog.

Forgot to add, only 6 months I could not let Star play with dogs she did not know as it usually ended up in a fight. So having her play with them is a big step forward.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >