Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I'll try anything Donna if it'll help.
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

20-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Hi Staffy...... I have been teaching obedience at beginners and competition level for 18 years... IMO regardless of the level of your you and your dog one thing that is the same with everyone is you must have your dogs attention..... if you do not everything else will eventually fail....

Having said that.... I also think that is the easiest thing to do.... Firstly... find something that your dog loves..... most people will use food, we know that doesnt work for your boy... other items might include, ball, kong, stuffed toy, sqeaky (dont recommend this) rolled up hand towel... piece of rope... etc....

for my example Im going to use the rolled up hand towel... now what do we know about staffy's... hmmm they love rough play... so we will also use that to our advantage....

have the towel in your right hand.... loop of lead in left hand, so that lead is loose.... have the dog sitting beside you.... use the towel to stimulate the dog so that he wants it bad..... he will probably break position etc at this stage dont stress about it....

take a few steps forward then let him grab at the towel.... play a quick game.... tell him leave... take the towel out of his mouth... you should be able to sit it on your right shoulder.... sit him back into heel position and start again.....

after a few games of this he will be sitting ready watching you waiting for the game to begin.... he wont even realise he's working.... nor will you.....

Over a period of time you will extend the amount of heeling that is done in order for the game to begin..... until the game is totally at the end of a heeling pattern.... this should take a few weeks.... if you find you dog losing interest go back a step....

Once you have your dog willing to work and keen to be beside you waiting for the next game... you can then start to work on making him sit straight etc.... a dog that is happy and high in drive is much easier to correct into position than a dog that is allready in low drive..

hope this makes sense...
Donna T
jayne
Dogsey Senior

20-10-2004, 09:55 PM
hello staffy...email me your address and ill post you something to try.....lol..see if it works then post on forum....keep every one in suspense till next class......jayne
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Okay thanx Donna that's helpful, he loves his rope toys so will try that instead.

Jayne have sent u my address.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2