Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2004, 11:59 AM

Barking

Strange request ops:
Can anyone tell me how you can train your dog to bark?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Think BellaLuna has been working on this one- she will probably be able to offer advice
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Hey

I've been advised from Kate (Gordonlover) to use the clicker
Dont know if u use the clicker already. I didnt.

First I sat for 10 minutes clicking and treating. Then I started having Luna sitting at my feet and every time she looked at me instead of the hand with treats, I clicked and treated. I did this for 5 minutes as she turned away at this point.

Now I carry the clicker around with me, and when she barks, I click, treat and say "speak".

After a weeks time she's slowly catching on...

Before this I got her to bark a few times by using the hairdryer, but I dont want her to be afraid of the hairdryer so stopped that again.

Someone uses their vacuumcleaner (sp?). But I wont, as Luna likes to be vaccuumed, a blessing during the shedding periods And others again have told me to tempt her wit a peace of raw meat, but she doesnt get it.....

I definately reconmmend the clicker. Just bought a cheap one.... Am gonna buy 2 or 3 more so I have one on me at all times.

Good luck

Jeanette and Luna

Good luck
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
if yu have a barker its easier as when me and max have our little training sessions indoors i would just hold the treat in my hand and hold it to my chest and eventually he would bark cos he wanted the treat and like bellaluna i would immediately say speak and treat and he picked it up real quick and will always speak on command now
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2004, 10:04 PM
thats how I trained Star, it was really easy.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2004, 07:21 AM
eek.. i tried to teach indie 'speak' but now she wont stop!!!
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2004, 07:23 AM
Ive been reading up on clicker training, although both my girls are very obedient, without the use of a clicker, as i have my own way of non-confrontational way of training my dogs and any others i have to take on, im going to giveclicker training a go. I am trying to get kiera to bark, i know most people would think you are mad wanting your dog to bark but i try and make training as fun as possible, so that my girls do things for me because they want to not because i 'demand' them too. Pepper has quite a lot of tricks she does anyway, and im getting there with kiera although newfy take a bit longer to do anything! My only problem is she never barks!!! so i cant use the when she barks 'speak' click...if you know what i mean, ive only ever heard her bark twice! I'll have to do some more research! And see if i can find something that makes her bark!
Thanks Emma
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2004, 09:19 AM
hmmmm well that does complicates it a bit. Luna has also first started barking after we moved in june.

Doesnt she bark if the doorbell rings or something like that?

Luna has to be able to bark on command if we want to pass at training.

Luna barked 11 times on command last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohooo I'm sooooo happy. (I wont mention that the 12. time I tried she just sat looking at me as if thinking "she's gone completely mental"

stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Nope she doesnt bark at anything! Newfs arent renowned for barking really.....not saying they dont, and some probably bark more than others, but i dont think kiera can be bothered and besides pepper does enough barking for the both of them !! lol

Thats excellent that you got her to do it 11 times
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2004, 04:12 PM
He he

Can I ask why u want her to bark? Just me being nosy, is all.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >