register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

19-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Hi Gems.... you need to desensitize him.... It will take a fair amount of training and some helpers.....

first, for you.... when another dog approaches tell him to sit (dog on left side) so that he's beside you ie both facing same direction, place your left hand down to his muzzel, holding his head up and at the same time your wrist will be covering his eyes... he needs to learn this position and learn to relax in it.....

Have someone approach from a distance.... slowly... you will need some kind of signal system.... as soon as your dog begins to react. get them to wait... settle your dog down.... once he's calm and sitting in the above position.... move them in a few steps at a time.... as they are moving closer you need to be praising your dog and feeding him high value treats.... but only when he's calm ...

This may take several training sessions, until the other dog can approach and walk past.....

I hope this make sense.... I do have trouble putting my thoughts into words at times....

notes - remember the distances you got to one session and try to start the next approx same places

- make sure your dog is hungry... if necessary do not feed him the night before a traning session

- teach him a word for calm - I use 'settle' which means sit quietly

Donna T
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2