Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 10:09 AM

Trouble with Getting Murphy in the car

When we first got Murphy a few weeks ago the first few times getting him in the car wasn't a problem, he would just jump in (we have an estate), but since then its becoming a bit of a problem and as he's a large rottie constantly lifting him in is not an option.

I've tried putting in a treat but all he does is put his front paws in reaches over and eats the treat, I've tried sitting in there too and encouraging him to jump in but again all he does is lift up his front legs but not his back ones so currently we are having to get him to put his front legs in and lifting in his back end which is crucifying my back.

Murphy doesn't seem to have anything pyhsically wrong with him as he is only 10 months he does tend to jump around loads when he's in play mode and as I said the first couple of times he jumped into the back of the car with no problems. My GSD, Jesse, gets into the car with no problems too and she just sits there patiently waiting for Murphy to get in, bless her.

Any idea's/tips anyone please
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

05-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi Steph - how about a Dog Ramp? Here's a thread on it... http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?p=49150
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks eRaze - I had though about that too but ruled it out as I didn't relaise the ramps where foldable and was woindering how I was going to fit the ramp in my car but now realise they are foldable .........yipppeee

Will go and see if there are any on ebay.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2004, 05:18 AM
If he has no physical disability which would make jumping into the car painful, then I suggest you consider the possibility that he is just being lazy Why should he go to the effort of jumping when he knows that you will lift him in? When he is really hungry try putting his dinner bowl in the back of the car and see what happens. If he enjoys the ride once he is in the car give him the opportunity to jump in on his own and if he refuses leave him behind. It won't take him long to work out what is in his best interests
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 08:22 AM
I have the same problem with Harley, he will just put his front legs in and just look at me but i carnt lift him in. But my partner just says in and he goes in, so i think he just tries to push his luck with me because he gets away with things.

Traci
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 09:38 AM
My friend had this problem with her dobe -the answer was to take a run up at the back of the car at the last moment dodge to the side and doglet ( in theory lol ) should jump in
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Murphy
My friend had this problem with her dobe -the answer was to take a run up at the back of the car at the last moment dodge to the side and doglet ( in theory lol ) should jump in
We've tried this LOL and he's very smart and just stands there. I do agree that hes probably thinking why should he bother jumping in if I lift him in. I think its time for a new strategy - if he don't jump in, he doesn't go for a walk. Lets hope he cottons on real quick !!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2004, 10:34 AM
have you treid sitting in the boot,it worked with my leo he followed me in.also i have heard of people putting tables/crates etc for the dog to climb onto first,then in.i haven't tried it my self but its a thought.im lucky tob goes in when hes told now but it is a problem,or like others have said a ramp to walk up.
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Steph try putting Murphy in on his own without going anywhere, then getting him out again, if you like, sort of like when you are trying to get a dog out of being car sick! Give him a treat as soon as he is in the back of the car.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 10:58 AM
We are slowly getting there now - if I throw a bitof sausage into the back of the car he jumps in, i know its now the same as him jumping in and then treating him but I stood there with him at the back of the car for 20 minutes the other day tring to get him in without using a treat LOL and as soon as I threw the treat in he jumped straight in but I will now work on getting him in the car first and then treating him.

Thanks for the advice everyone !!