Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 10:26 AM

recall again

The problem I'm having with Hector is in the garden.He will go out ok, do what he has to do , have a play, then when I call him in he will sit down and look at me as if to say ' no way' and he wont budge an inch.
I've tried treats when he does come in ( rarely ), I've tried dancing around and calling him excitedly, you name it I've done it.
The strange thing is when we go out for a off lead run he comes back straight away no problem.

So what am I doing wrong??

HELP!!!!!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2004, 10:46 AM
it is because your in your home enviroment he feels safe at home,when you out he is looking for you.
tob does the same some times i have tried all sorts but the thing i found worked better with him is,bend down with your arms open and call him in a high/soft voice then praise him and give a goodie.
leo's can be stubborn and i have my fair share of that,the hardest thing is finding the thing that makes them click and use it.
tob will not do anything for a goodie he isn't that way but he will for attention,don't make the mistake in going to him as he will think its ok for him to do his own thing.
i use a whistle to get his attention then give a command if he does it he gets praise and treats.they are hard work but it gets better.they are slow to mature mentally but you'll get there it just takes time and practice.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanx leo

I have tried the knees bent arms out and with cheese, which he loves, but nothing. I do also whistle feed which he also takes no notice of in the garden. I dont want to get to the point of him ignoring the garden recall then the walks recall .
As you can appreciate these dogs are like sponges in this weather and lying in the garden not coming back in is a very messy business, not that I mind , but it does get very frustrating.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 11:18 AM
hi hectorsmum. I have the same problem with indie. It doesnt matter what i do, she wont come in from the garden. She jus wants to stay out and play.
So what ive done is put her on an 8 metre stretchy lead and walk her out there. After doing this for a good few weeks, when i call her, she comes. And if she doesnt, i give a slight tug on the lead and she gets the idea. so hopefully i will eventually be able to eliminate the lead and she will come in when asked
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Jenny that sounds like a great idea. I know he wont like it but tough he'll have to learn.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Hello clever pup Hector. Try couching down and tuning your back to him so he can't se you and calling him with a nice "bouncy" voice. Bet he comes just to see what you are doing? But have a toy or something he likes and loads of fun when he does come.

Karen