Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It is not that I do not want to feed kibble, but Pereg was just eating and eating and nagging more and more, hence gaining weight. I tried adding steamed vegetables to try and fill her up, which worked for a short while, but that did not last. So I started reading up on BARF and raw feeding which seemed to make sense, especially when given frozen. And because frozen wings or whatever take her longer to eat, it keeps her occupied for longer therefore stops the non-stop nagging in the evenings.

[She is back to having a main meal when she asks for it, usually early evening, with a wing or two as a late snack.]

Cooking from scratch for her is out of the question - I am not even cooking for myself at the moment but am eating my regular summer food which is salad every day. I just bulk cook meat or fish and freeze in portions, so add either that or pulses as the protein part of my diet.

I just cannot understand why so many people say that raw bones do not cause any problems and yet my Vet is convinced they do. He also reckons that she will not get sufficient vitamins and minerals, also that I will not be able to control her calorie intake, and that dry food is complete with everything. But dry food is not satisfying her any more and she is getting me down at times.

I honestly do not know what to do or even to think any more.
One of the reasons that vets are anti-raw, is that as a business, it isn't profitable for them to have a dog fed raw on their books, as they can't sell you their extortionately priced dog food, and generally, raw fed dogs don't have to see the vet as often as they are extremely healthy on it.

Jess has been fed raw for about 4 years, and she has only had to visit the vets either because of vaccinations, or when she was attacked, so she isn't a profitable dog for the vets. She has never had any problems with bones, and her tummy has been amazing since being on raw.

If I were you, I'd go on your gut feeling. If you feel that raw would be the best route, go for that. You can buy mince that has bone mixed in. You can also buy a bonemeal powder that you could add if you were really that confused with regards to bones. If you feel that a different kibble is the way forward, go for that There is only you that knows your dog and how they act/feel on that particular food

You could always try raw, and then if it doesn't work out, just go back to kibble (I doubt anything will go wrong though )
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3