Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Fortunately that wouldnt happen as our
dogs are friendly

If a dog did break in, as has happened - it dug under the fence (which has since been replaced by different fencing) our dogs did nothing. I however apprehended the culprit & returned it to its owners who didnt even know it was missing.
My dogs are friendly too!! And yet I have no doubt that if Winkle ever fell off the fence or the roof after Ben and Tai had chased her up there and they managed to get hold of her, there wouldn't be a lot of hope for her.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Anither convert - we agree on something!
Lol !!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
What!! You are JOKING!!?
Nope not joking at all, i think i was pretty naive posting it in the first place tbh, i hadn't been a member very long at the time. Thats when i realised there are some not very pleasant people on here. Some of the posts were vicious

I know people have different opinions on things thats fair enough but some posts were nasty and totally unnecessary.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Nope not joking at all, i think i was pretty naive posting it in the first place tbh, i hadn't been a member very long at the time. Thats when i realised there are some not very pleasant people on here. Some of the posts were vicious

I know people have different opinions on things thats fair enough but some posts were nasty and totally unnecessary.
O dear Well, there are good and bad everywhere, so I guess Dogsey is no different, but how nasty for you.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:34 PM
O dear Well, there are good and bad everywhere, so I guess Dogsey is no different, but how nasty for you.
Yes but the good outweigh the bad i think
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Hypothetically speaking if another dog broke into your garden and your dog killed it would you expect the owner of dead dog to call the authorities on you for having a dangerous out of control dog?

I think you have already said you would put your dog down if it killed another dog but I just wonder who you think would be at fault in this situation?
I did have that happen, next doors Stafford came into my house when I let my dogs from my garden, he had broken through the fence. He made himself at home till the owners came home and I returned him. My dogs didnt attack him, despite him only living there a couple weeks, nor did he kill my Cats.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Gnasher;2154773]My dogs are friendly too!! And yet I have no doubt that if Winkle ever fell off the fence or the roof after Ben and Tai had chased her up there and they managed to get hold of her, there wouldn't be a lot of hope for her.[/

You might be surprised!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:54 PM
To summerise

The great cat debate is likemarmite, you either love it or hate it, agree or disagree.

However, to this day I've never seen a dog chasing a piece of marmite...nor can you spread cats on your toast.

On a serious note

If either of mine killed a cat that wandered into our garden, I wouldn't hold it against them, I certainly wouldn't have them pts, or muzzle them. It would of course be a terrible shame for the cat and its owner, who I'd contact if possible, but imo, its their job to keep their pet/s safe not mine.

If people let their cats wander, it should be in the knowledge that it was their choice that meant the loss of their cat. It's not the cats falt, it's not the dogs falt, and unless the dog was somewhere it shouldn't have been or was deliberately unleashed upon the cat, its not the dog owners falt either.

I've met dogs that were cat killers, one in particular was notorious for doing so. Any cat that wandered into that dogs territory, and made it out alive, was consideredlucky. It wasn't a clean kill from what I'mtold either, he really used to rip them apart, poor things. He was a terrier btw, a patterdale I think.

If one of my dogs killed another one of my dogs I'm not sure what I'd do. It would depend on the situation.

Tbh, when Shadow my dad's dog and Storm used to live together there was2 occasions in which this could have very well happened. The first was when Shadow launched himself at Storm going strait for the throat, I wasn't there at the time, so my dad had to pull him off, thankfully Storm was unhurt, though my dadwas bitten as Shadow redirected on to him. It wasn't serious though.

The second time I was there, and it took 2 of us to seperate them, or should I say keep Shadow off Storm, as Storm wasn't actually fighting back..he was trying to run away. If we'd not been there, Shadow might have well killed Storm infact, I'm quite sure on that occasion he would have.

The only time they have contact now is when we take all 3 of them out together on a walk. They're fine with each other as it is.

I honistly can't say what I'd have done if Shadow had actually killed Storm, I'd have definitely had him checked out by a vet. Part of me would want him to be pts, but anotherpart wouldn't.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

23-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I think you have already said you would put your dog down if it killed another
dog but I just wonder who you think would be at fault in this situation?

Did I? I dont remember typing that
Then I am extremely sorry its a very long thread and I was obviously confusing you with someone else. Please accept my apology.

No point in answering, you have already made your mind up what the answer is & no matter what i say, you will contradict it
No I really havent made up my mind, I cant because I really do not know what you think on the subject. I cannot contradict what you say you would do or want the authorities to do - because that would be your opinion and what you would do!

Honestly it is a genuine question that I would like to understand your take on.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=Velvetboxers;2154869]
My dogs are friendly too!! And yet I have no doubt that if Winkle ever fell off the fence or the roof after Ben and Tai had chased her up there and they managed to get hold of her, there wouldn't be a lot of hope for her.[/

You might be surprised!
I'd like to think so!
Page 54 of 56 « First < 4 44 51 52 53 54 55 56 >